Damaged 7x7 terracotta liner dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygtoad

Feb 1, 2016
Bow, NH
Greetings,

Let me start by describing my chimney. The chimney has 3 flues. One used by the gas furnace (in the basement) one used by a gas fireplace (on the first floor) and the last is unused. I was hoping to use this last flue for a wood stove in the basement. I got a good deal on a stove this spring. It is currently in the basement but has never been used. The chimney was built with the house in 1989 and has a run of about 25 feet from the basement to the crown.

I had a chimney sweep come to inspect the chimney and he found that while the two flues’ currently in use are in great shape, the flue I wanted to use was deteriorating (a 7x7 terracotta with an offset). The flue's which are in in good shape are 9x13 terracotta.

Per the stove manufacturer only a 6 inch round flue should be used. From what I have read, with insulation it is not likely I will get a flexible liner successfully down the chimney without removing the 7x7 terracotta tiles.

I have seen videos on how to remove the tiles but it leaves me wondering if the flues are separated by brick or not, and, if not, would there be a risk to damaging the other flue's using a spinning removal tool? What is typical construction?

I am open to suggestions on other options. I am really just looking for an affordable solution which is going to be safe.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen videos on how to remove the tiles but it leaves me wondering if the flues are separated by brick or not, and, if not, would there be a risk to damaging the other flue's using a spinning removal tool? What is typical construction?
Yes there is a risk. The liners should always be separated by brick but many times they are not. It can be very hard to make that determination. We have put in more than one other liner at our cost after damaging it breaking out an adjacent one.

I was able to see into a large crack in the 7x7 liner and I can see that there is no separation between the liners. Yikes! Also the adjacent center liner is not very far away, maybe 2-3 inches. Looks risky.

At this point I think I am going to pack it in from a DIY perspective and let a professional do the work. As Dirty Harry once said "A man's got to know his limitations."

Thanks for posting bholler.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
Why not use a 5.5inch liner? Should fit and if your in the basement your draw should be good.

Why not use a 5.5inch liner? Should fit and if your in the basement your draw should be good.
Still not room for insulation and there may not be enough volume for some stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.