Dallas One Wire Thermistor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
I'm puttering with my Arduino and going to start attaching sensors. I want to make a dip tube from copper (for the tank) with the thermistor inside it. My question is can I submerge the thermistor in thermal paste or will that kill the thermistor?

Thanks

Dallas 1-wire sensors are typically mounted in epoxy sealed stainless steel capsules. I don't see any problem with using a thermal paste so long as you are not insulating the probe from the heated surface or interrupting the electrical/digital connections. Any insulation likely will result in either inaccurate readings or a delay in getting accurate readings while the heat travels to and from the insulation. Might not be important depending on what you want to do.

Also, a copper dip tube may allow heat to travel along its surface, giving you inaccurate readings. I used PVC instead to avoid this. You can do some experimenting to see if there is a temperature offset from being inside the PVC and adjust for the offset in software.

The thermal paste is important if the thermistor is not a tight fit in the well. It can make a bit if difference in the readings. Most thermo wells include a small tube of paste with them.

I cut open a thermistor to see what makes them tick. They tell be it is the 1/4" at the tip that does the sensing.

Looks like the same thermal paste is used inside the thermistor also.

hr

Attachments

• Dallas One Wire Thermistor
    Picture 47.png
    239 KB · Views: 404
Are you using ds1820 in the to-92 (i think) plastic case? I epoxied them in a 1/4 inch copper tube which worked fine until a lightening
strike killed the whole lot of them.

I now have a cpvc dip tube in my tank with tee's at each sensor level and a cpvc to fpt adapter and the sensor epoxied in a brass mpt plug.

I also found 1-wire sensors are not reliable at all above 170-180 or so when using parasitic power... must use data, ground, AND 5 volts.
Some sensors do not have the 5 volt lead connected internally even though they have 3 leads, can't remember the number... may be ds1822.

Great info.

I was thinking of the pvc with a copper fitting with the sensor in thermal paste.

I'll check out the 5v lead.

Thanks

I provide 5v on all of my DS18B20 1-wire temperature sensors. About 195F is the highest temp they see in my system, although as high as about 210F would be possible in an overheat situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.