Cutting firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firebrick comes in a lot of "flavors". Some are a good deal harder than others, so it kind of depends on just which kind you have to cut. For general purpose replacement firebrick of the 9"x4½"x1¼" variety like Rutland sells, I use a masonry blade on a compound miter saw, and cut them outside with a dust mask on. Easy peasy. Rick

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1366795&CAWELAID=109349399

I score it with one of those wide chisels you use for breaking regular brick. Don't know what they are called, I just call mine a brick chisel. I score the brick on all four sides, smack it with a hammer and it breaks right away. I did my Rumsford fireplace that way, and it involved some more complex angles, and it did fine.

Don't know how anyone else does it.

I used a wet tile saw ($50 harborfreight), the rutland bricks are really soft... probably could use a hacksaw if you wanted to and took it slow. Would destroy the blade, but thats cheap.

I got the same 6 pack of bricks shown above.... only used one... 5 left in my garage just waiting :)

4 inch grinder with a dry-cut diamond blade.....and a good dust mask or respirator....just cut a pile of them the other night......don't forget safety glasses, too!

ginsu knife....cuts anything....hammer, tomato, refractory brick. never needs sharpeing. CALL NOW and we'll DOUBLE YOUR ORDER!!!! (just pay shipping and handling).

Last time I needed to cut a fire brick I used a normal every day hacksaw. Worked great.

Last time I needed some pavers cut I went to Lowes and they cut them for me for free. Granted I do A TON of buisness with them.

I've used one of these in the Circ saw. They are cheap and work fine for what I've done.

pen

[Hearth.com] Cutting firebrick

I've used a hammer and chisel, but you need to be careful and work slow. Just tap the hammer and keep moving the chisel along.

Status
Not open for further replies.