curious

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
I wonder if the wonder green new deal will effect wood burning? we have to get solar powered stoves....

2018 drolet ht2000

Despite the hype, the Green New Deal is at best an " I have a dream" concept. In the past wood was regarded as renewable "stored solar". Will it be this time?

The US also may not be able to afford it. The baby boom retirement bubble is going to wipe out the federal budget. Barring shutting down the defense department I don't see where the massive federal investments or the workforce are going to come from for the plan..

On the other hand there are programs like clean power plan and ramped up MPG standards that were being phased in prior to the current administration. Both will make a big dent in power and transportation fuels emissions. The problem with both is that efficiency standards used to be justified by expensive fossil fuels. It was easy to push fuel economy at $5 a gallon, a lot harder at $2 per gallon. Carbon credits could replace the incentive but the first experiment in Europe failed pretty spectacularly. As long as India and China are outside the market they are going be an end run around effective carbon limits.

I wonder if the wonder green new deal will effect wood burning? we have to get solar powered stoves....

2018 drolet ht2000
The simple answer is no.

Carbon credits another way for a select few to make money from nothing.

Reactions: johneh