crimping stovepipe at flue collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodburner 53

Aug 29, 2024
Northeast US
I have an old Jotul 602, with a 125mm smoke outlet. 5" is 127mm so Jotul sent adapters with these stoves sold to all its US customers, from what I understand. I already bougt 5" black pipe & double wall pipe since I only found out about this later. Question is, jamming the black stove pipe into the smoke outlet at the stove. It's 2 mm larger than the outlet. One poster said with a "heavy crimp." Could I cut the pipe where it crimps a little bit then ease it in & coat it in furnace cement from inside? Or just stove cement around where the pipe enters?

I don't want to return all this pipe for 6 inch with an adapter, plus I had a custom made wall pass through for 5 inch made.

I would crimp it; cutting is not necessary and stove cement is a mess (and won't last long).

If need be, get a thin fiberglass gasket.

You'd need something like this to increase the corrugation so that the diameter decreases.

crimping stovepipe at flue collar

Repeating the crimp a few time around with a good crimper will deepen the crimp. Malco makes good 5-blade crimpers. That's what I use.

Got it, so you're saying a crimping tool & say a 1/8 fiberglass gasket. Do you stick the gasket around the inside then jam the pipe in? Or jam the gasket in after the pipe's in? I'll give it a shot. Thanks a lot

If a gasket is needed, flat gasket tape works well for filling narrow gaps.

Look for gaskets that go around window edges in stove doors.
But only if you have gaps after crimping.

If you taper the crimp, you shouldn’t have a gap big enough to cause problems. You’re only trying to shrink it 2mm.

Just take it slow!

Reactions: stoveliker