Creosote Remover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Schneider

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2012
Southbury, CT
A few months ago there was a thread about a spray creosote remover. I was interested in this because when I did my fall vent cleaning, the vent walls were black and a little greasy.
I can't see using a spray because Im concerned that it will crack cast iron parts from thermal shock. I found a granular creosote remover that I have been adding to the hopper. I add about 2Tbs per bag of pellets.
I was lax about my weekly cleaning and realized that I hadn't given the MVAE a thorough cleaning in weeks (3 or 4, I'm not sure). So I stripped it down last week expecting to find a mess. What I found was a light thin coating of white ash. Hardly enough to justify a cleaning.
Now, I don't know if this is a result of the creosote remover or the fact that this is the first season that I am burning softwood pellets. I see a reasonable amount of ash on the shelf and in the ash draw, but the path of the combustion gases through the cast iron heat exchanger was clean.
I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this kind of change with softwood pellets vs hardwood or with creosote remover.

My vote is for the softwood ... ash tends to be fluffier so likely can exit easier. Softwoods also tend to generate a little higher temp so that works in your favour too. I haven't tried the creosote remover as there hasn't been a need as I burn mostly softwoods.

Reactions: Bioburner
Status
Not open for further replies.