Creosote Pcr or air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vertigoat

Hey had a reputable, csia certified company come out today to inspect our fireplaces today. We live in Philadelphia in an old colonial (est. 1800) with 3 fireplaces, 4 chimneys.

We had them come out because of some serious campfire smells coming from the downstairs BR fireplace. We had new windows and kicked on the AC last week so there were a few days where it was BAD.

Attached is a pic of the fireplace in question. He said it was one of the worst cases of creosote buildup he has seen in awhile. Said at some point in the home’s history there was a combustible fire.

We just purchased last year and it’s safe to say that we never plan on having a fire and would like to EVENTUALLY maybe get a gas unit in that BR when it becomes a living room after our roommate leaves. Either way we want to just seal it up.

He educated me about negative air pressure and gave me two options. One EXPENSIVE PCR clean out. Like 3-5k. The other was to get a home energy auditor out, learn more about the negative pressure and then get an air intake installed (which would be a few hundred dollars).

So I guess any information you may have that leads to any more knowledge on the situation or any feedback you may have from the pictures I posted please let me know. I don’t feel like I’m getting swindled. But I would like to learn more about these options.

Creosote Pcr or air intake

I have seen worse buildups :)

Have you thought about just closing off that chimney if you are not going to use it? You can do a balloon or other chimney plug in the damper to block it off so you won't get the smell.

I have seen worse buildups :)

Have you thought about just closing off that chimney if you are not going to use it? You can do a balloon or other chimney plug in the damper to block it off so you won't get the smell.

I have! That’s kinda the goal. Are there downsides to forgoing getting it cleaned before sealing it?

I would certainly try just mechanical cleaning on that before jumping to pcr it really doesn't look that bad.

Yep. A $10 brush from Lowe’s and you and a buddy can tie a rope on either end and play tug of war if you want to do it on the cheap.

If that’s the worst he’s seen, he must be seeing more up inside the pipe than we can see in that picture.

Yep. A $10 brush from Lowe’s and you and a buddy can tie a rope on either end and play tug of war if you want to do it on the cheap.

If that’s the worst he’s seen, he must be seeing more up inside the pipe than we can see in that picture.
A simple brush probably isn't going to do it. A rotary cleaner with cables would be where I start. Maybe go to chains