Creosote in damper area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Creosote in damper area Creosote in damper area Creosote in damper area I had my wood insert re-installed last summer. Wanted to really do it right and super safe, which I wasn’t sure about with original install.
Well, during the reinstall, the installer said that removed a bit a glaze from the smoke shelf area. Was glad he was diligent to do that.
I’m a very safety conscious guy, and Today I decided to remove the surround recently to take a look at the area bc I’m thinking about do a block off plate as the installer just stuff roxul in the damper area. while the parts visible upon first glance like smoke chamber and right above the damper appear very clean, I decided to take some pics with my phone looking down into the damper. This is an area hidden from plain view. I found bit of non-shiny buildup, in most areas around perimeter of inside of damper. It seemed like the heaviest buildup was inside the damper in the corner of the firebox. It appeared that there was a fair amount of old mortar that could make it look like the buildup was more than it is. A little tough to figure out what was what in this area.
I have a jotul insert inside this masonry fireplace. The buildup in damper area is about 6 inches above top of insert. The buildup is mainly on the bricks which make up facade of chimney and no so much on actual steel damper. My liner is wrap insulated and insulation starts about one inch above the damper.
Living in the northeast, what would you figure a fair price to have old fireplace damper removed and this buildup removed would be. This would involve removing insert and then reconnecting when done?

Creosote in damper area Another pic

My guess is they didnt clean it at all.

Not that I can hire you from this distance, but what would you charge to fix this?

Not that I can hire you from this distance, but what would you charge to fix this?
The same as any other install. Which can be anywhere from 500 to 1500 depending on circumstances.

So, I will attempt to get the installer out to fix this. I anticipate resistance on his part. Although I realize he would have had to removed the steel damper to have seen the buildup inside that area, would I be correct in saying it was his responsibility to have removed all buildup (even in this somewhat hidden spot)? Reason I ask is because I’d like to present him with a reasonable argument that I should not have to pay additional money to fix this. I had asked that the clay liner be broken out do that a round liner with insulation be installed, so he can’t use the excuse that I’d be using an open fireplace again.
Man, I’m pissed.

So, I will attempt to get the installer out to fix this. I anticipate resistance on his part. Although I realize he would have had to removed the steel damper to have seen the buildup inside that area, would I be correct in saying it was his responsibility to have removed all buildup (even in this somewhat hidden spot)? Reason I ask is because I’d like to present him with a reasonable argument that I should not have to pay additional money to fix this. I had asked that the clay liner be broken out do that a round liner with insulation be installed, so he can’t use the excuse that I’d be using an open fireplace again.
Man, I’m pissed.
Yes that is without a doubt his responsibility

I'm a little confused about where the buildup is, from the OP, but as long as you guys have it sorted out, that's good. I was thinking it was a fireplace damper, but also read that you looked down to see it - and most times, you'd look up to see that. I think.

I'm a little confused about where the buildup is, from the OP, but as long as you guys have it sorted out, that's good. I was thinking it was a fireplace damper, but also read that you looked down to see it - and most times, you'd look up to see that. I think.

It was a fireplace damper that installer left in place. The buildup is down inside the damper-mainly on one course of bricks around perimeter of smoke shelf area. The chimney has been swept a bunch of times since I have lived here when I was using the open fireplace as well when insert was installed. This area I’m talking about would be next to impossible to clean without removing that old fireplace damper. You can see the difference- just above this area is clean as a whistle.
I will report back with installer’s response to my request that he fix it. I’d like to think it’s hard to argue with my pictures but I’m guessing he will try. I paid good money for the install. They insulate liners as standard practice which I thought set them apart from many of the other so called pros in my area.

@bholler, why would this area even need to be cleaned? If I understand correctly, it’s behind the old fireplace damper. Would you have really removed the old damper to clean behind it, then re-installed it, during a routine insert installation? Seems to be unwarranted work, unless I’m missing something.

@bholler, why would this area even need to be cleaned? If I understand correctly, it’s behind the old fireplace damper. Would you have really removed the old damper to clean behind it, then re-installed it, during a routine insert installation? Seems to be unwarranted work, unless I’m missing something.
It needs to be cleaned because it is flamable material and if it catches fire it can be very bad. For an insert install i will almost always be pulling the damper anyway to get the liner through round. But it needs cleaned even for a routine fureplace cleaning as well. In that case yes i would pull the damper

Reactions: Ashful
It needs to be cleaned because it is flamable material and if it catches fire it can be very bad. For an insert install i will almost always be pulling the damper anyway to get the liner through round. But it needs cleaned even for a routine fureplace cleaning as well. In that case yes i would pull the damper

That was another aspect to my uncertainty - I was thinking if it was a fireplace damper, why wouldn't it get yanked out all together when the insert was installed? I've never installed an insert, but it must overly-complicate things installing one, & lining a chimney beside, with the damper still there? In the way?

That was another aspect to my uncertainty - I was thinking if it was a fireplace damper, why wouldn't it get yanked out all together when the insert was installed? I've never installed an insert, but it must overly-complicate things installing one, & lining a chimney beside, with the damper still there? In the way?
Sometimes there is room with the damper plate still in but it is really hard to properly clean with it there. So we usually pull it out. Unless it needs cut out. In that case if there is room with it there we will leave it.

What method would most likely work to clean the material in pics thoroughly?

What method would most likely work to clean the material in pics thoroughly?
I dont know it doesnt look like it would be to hard to clean. I would probably start with a scraper. That is if i couldnt get at it with my rotary cleaner.

Good update- the installer said he’ll come out to clean this area.