Creosote control chemicals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Hey everyone, I’ve heard from a few people that the products that chemically convert creosote to a dry powdery substance work well and are recommended.

are these safe for use with a catylitic stove? Some products say to burn the product with the bypass on and the cat inactive. Hearthstone does not recommend using the stove for long periods with the by pass on and they say don’t burn anything other than cordwood.

should I use this product?

What do you guys think?

I have used Cre-Away. If you have glazed creosote in your chimney, first remove the catalyst from your stove. Then build a small fire, not a real fire just enough to heat the flue up to 300 degrees or so. Keep the bypass open. Puff the Cre-Away up the chimney through the bypass damper. Use a decent amount so it coats the whole inside of the flue. Then let the fire die out and sweep it clean.

I've had to do this once after a batch of not-so-well seasoned wood, and it worked. I would not bring this stuff anywhere close to the catalyst. And I would also not use it regularly, just when you have glazed creosote that you can't remove using a regular brush.