Cracks in hearth a concern?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rubyjunebug

Aug 22, 2024
North Carolina
Hi all, newbie here.
Have a 1935 house with double fireplace.
We renovated and had some floor joists and foundation supports replaced in a few areas.
We now are ready to fix up the fireplace(s). No long safe for wood burning so instead we want to make one side have gas log insert and the other be decorative.
I am looking to install hearth stone /tile first but should I be concerned about these cracks in firebox, hearth? I think they were there before we had floor joists/support replaced.
In the crawlspace there is wood form for the concrete hearth. Is this normal?
Sending pics(not the best at drawing).
Thanks for any help/info!
RB

Cracks in hearth a concern?Cracks in hearth a concern?Cracks in hearth a concern?Cracks in hearth a concern?Cracks in hearth a concern?Cracks in hearth a concern?Cracks in hearth a concern?