Cracked baffle on SBI insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
The baffle on my one year old SBI insert has developed a crack right down the middle (north-south). Looks like it is covered for two years under the manufacturers warranty. It is vermiculite, and is $55 to replace (plus whatever shipping). It was not damaged by banging up against it. I wonder what are the chances I'll get a new one without having to buy it? I am disappointed, this weekend was the one year anniversary of the install, I know that eventually they need to be replaced, but wasn't expecting it so soon. I also wonder what caused it, if I can avoid having it happen again. Almost positive the baffle is identical in the Drolet 1800, Century CW 2900 inserts. Anyone have a similar experience with their SBI baffle cracking? I'll e-mail them on Monday and report back on my experience.

Ask if you can get a c-cast ceramic replacement.

Ask if you can get a c-cast ceramic replacement.
Thanks begreen. That's just what I'll do. I noticed that is the material that they use in their Osburn stoves, and the sizing is identical in the Osburn 2000. I was planning on buying c-cast when I needed to replace it. More expensive, but they provide a 7 year warranty on it for the Osburns.

UPDATE: The replacement baffle arrived from Canada in less than a week. They didn't like the first picture I sent, so I waited for the stove to get cold and took a few more, and it was on its way. Five stars to SBI for customer service, quick turn around, and honoring the warranty!

Cracked baffle on SBI insert

UPDATE #2: In my euphoria, I did not cross reference the part number on the shipping slip that was shipped with the correct part number. I waited for the stove to cool down, got on my belly, removed the secondary burn tubes, the cracked baffle, and put the replacement in. Uh oh, it doesn't quite fit.

Took it out and tried all four possible configurations, none quite fit. Must be the material, it'll shrink upon a light burning, then seat correctly on the top of the burn tubes like the original. Commence light burn.

Enjoying the secondaries of my light burn, it hit me. Check the shipping slip. Ugh! Wrong part number, and measures 20 1/2" x 13 1/4" x 1 1/4" instead of the correct one, which measures 20" X 12 1/2" X 1 1/4". It is the extra 3/4" on the sides that is the main problem.

It does not sit down on the secondary burn tubes on both sides. But it is pretty close, just cocked a bit uphill from left to right It is tight against the back, and comes a little further out front than the original, which causes it to sit on top of a little L-shaped bracket, whereas the original fit in the L.

Contemplated trying to cut a bit off the side to make it sit on the burn tubes all the way across, then decided that would be a terrible idea, I have no idea how the material would respond to my attempt to cut it.

I've e-mailed SBI with my dilemma. I'll report back on my experience.

Anyone think that I will cause irreparable harm if I burn it, as is? I can always let it cool down again tomorrow and put the original back in. The crack in the middle fits together very well.

SBI will keep the five star customer service rating depending on how they respond to this. They have already gone way beyond my expectations with their original response, I think this was just one of those unfortunate mistakes that happen.

We provide 95% of our heat with this stove, so I will remain hopeful, here in the dead of winter! We are fortunate that the cold snap broke, it got up to 50 here today.

Update #3: SB sent me the right (vermiculite) baffle when I let them know the c-cast one didn't fit right. Took them a couple of weeks this time, I think my original contact there was on vacation. In it went. This was late December.

Update #4: The replacement baffle just split exactly like the first one did. This one only lasted about a month and a half. I now believe that these are engineered to fail after a certain amount of use. I'm guessing it's designed to fail after two seasons of light to moderate use (the warranty on the baffle is two years). I'm a heavy user who gets it there sooner.

SBI gets five stars for their customer service, but the stove loses a star for using a consumable that doesn't last a full season.

My lesson in all this is, if you need a replacement baffle, don't bother with the vermiculite one, spend a little more and upgrade to the c-cast one that fits. It'll likely save money in the long run.

Assuming you still have the cast baffle, I'd cut it to fit. You've got the dimensions.
That's a good plan. I'm nervous about cutting it. I think I've settled on using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder, need to figure out how to cut a straight line. Alternatively I might use a diamond blade in the circular saw. Not a good time for trial and error.

That's a good plan. I'm nervous about cutting it. I think I've settled on using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder, need to figure out how to cut a straight line. Alternatively I might use a diamond blade in the circular saw. Not a good time for trial and error.
It doesn't need to be perfect. We cut Skamol panels with a circular saw and it works good.

I had both my original and free replacement that sbi sent both crack in the same way. The two broken pieces fit together well enough that they could probably be used as-is, but I put some refactory cement on the two pieces to glue them back together. The glued baffle has held up for over a year of moderate use, and i now have a backup glued baffle too

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I had both my original and free replacement that sbi sent both crack in the same way. The two broken pieces fit together well enough that they could probably be used as-is, but I put some refactory cement on the two pieces to glue them back together. The glued baffle has held up for over a year of moderate use, and i now have a backup glued baffle too
Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try. What kind of refractory cement did you use?

The vermiculite baffle in my Drolet Tundra furnace just cracked a few weeks ago, it is at least 5 years old...maybe 6. The crack does not affect the way it burns so I am going to finish the season out with it.
I am planning on replacing it with 1" ceramic insulation board bought off the 'bay. I've used it on other stoves prior and it holds up well as long as you aren't gouging it with wood...and even then it just leaves a little scar.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000