Crack starting in glass, or just a scratch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
Tonight I cleaned the glass and burnpot, which I do every 2-3 days. Well first thing I noticed was something melted to the front in 3 spots, and the GF's kid admitted to standing too close and melting her leggings onto the glass, which resulted in a talk. But what I also noticed behind one of the spots, only on the inside of the glass, near the middle left, was what looks like a horizontal scratch about 3/4" long. Hopefully a scratch, but could it be the start of a crack from if she pushed her knee against it? It's only on the inside surface, doesn't go through or even deep. I'm concerned because I don't know how this glass behaves. Is this even possible, or would it have cracked fully through, or most of the way across, or shattered, if it had been exposed to pressure? I've been keeping an eye on it and no change. I can go to work and replace it with a piece of steel if needed for now.

I'm hoping it's just coincidence from the previous time I cleaned it. Now when I clean it, first I let the stove, glass, burnpot, get cool to the touch. Then I lightly push off the excess ash with a wooden paint stir stick. Then I dip a crumpled warm wet newspaper in the stove ash and wipe it off, keep turning it until nice and clean and dry. I'm hoping perhaps I grabbed a bit of something slightly abrasive.

And if it is a scratch, should I be concerned with it being weakened, and polish it out with something?

I had the woodstove all those years but never had to clean the glass so it never got a close examination, and never had a problem with it either. I just would burn it hot and it would burn itself clean. Common sense said not to hit it with anything or force it onto logs that didn't fit.

You lost me at leggings getting burnt. How the hell did that happen. Was she sitting on stove!

I'm sure the ceramic glass is fine. If you think it's a crack take door off and maybe pour some water over it. When it's cold. If the damage is already done just buy another glass.

I have a crack in the glass on my wood stove that has been there for months, due to me improperly installing a new door gasket.:mad: I am sure the two pieces cannot move or fall out so I am not worried about it. That glass is ceramic based and will not shatter even if the temperature changes rapidly. It does expand when heated however and will crack if improperly installed. Most stoves I am familiar with have viewing windows designed so that if the glass cracks it will still be held in place securely.

I wouldn't worry about it other then educating the kids to be mindful of hot appliances. (Had this convo with mine)

That glass is ceramic based and will not shatter even if the temperature changes rapidly.

Only because this is a safety issue I have to say that this is not true. There have been several reports of exploding ceramic glass on this forum over the years. Some have resulted in injury including severe burns.

IIRC most had shown no signs of failure prior to shattering, exploding, while some did.

Best choice for OP is to keep a close eye on the glass and replace it when possible. If the crack starts getting bigger stop using the stove and replace the glass, this is nothing to screw around with.

Thanks. It is still unchanged, I'm thinking it's most likely a scratch by coincidence but I'll keep checking it. Meanwhile I'd been thinking of seeking out the best deal on a glass and have one on hand anyway. Or make a matching steel plate at work (free).

BTW she was cold so she stood right in front of it and touched her knees to the glass. She's 13, she knew better.

Thanks. It is still unchanged, I'm thinking it's most likely a scratch by coincidence but I'll keep checking it. Meanwhile I'd been thinking of seeking out the best deal on a glass and have one on hand anyway. Or make a matching steel plate at work (free).

BTW she was cold so she stood right in front of it and touched her knees to the glass. She's 13, she knew better.
Just keep an eye on it. I had what looked like a scratch on mine, turned out it was a small fracture/crack. Don't know how or why. After a couple of months it was noticeably getting bigger so I replaced it. It was in the middle and I wanted to replace before it went all the way to the sides.

If you hold off until Tuesday night I'll post a place to get that glass cheaper than anywhere. My wife has access to the company through her work but she doesn't work again until Tuesday and can't remember the name of it.

ETA: Here's the company web site link: http://www.dearcopaint.com/

She just remembered, give them a call I know that they are the lowest I've seen for ceramic glass, of course you still have to pay for shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bioburner
Have a new panel ready to go. I've seen some glass go years without issues. The slower hot and cold seems to keep the glass from going to nuts unlike the extremes of a wood stove.
Have seen the cold butt syndrome many times.