Crack on front of Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

funflyer

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2014
Central Arizona
Did a cleaning today and noticed this crack from the edge just below the door seal. Not sure exactly when it started but I do know it was this season since I painted the stove over the summer and would've seen it during the prep. This is the first year I started mixing in 15% corn with the pellets during the extreme cold snaps, which made a significant difference in the heat output, so that may have put it over the edge. I stop-drilled it and will weld after the season if it doesn't progress. I hate to disconnect and haul the beast to the garage before then. A search shows that cracks are pretty common in wood stoves but not in pellet stoves. Anyone have their pellet stove crack like this?

Crack on front of Englander Crack on front of Englander

Seen similar cracks on a St Croix Prescott stove. Both sides of upper door opening had cracks running horizontal. They were hidden under rust and discovered when sanding prior to paint. Ground V notch in both cracks and welded up. Holding up fine since. Stove was obviously overheating due to lack of cleaning.