Crack in Ideal Steel wood stove - easy fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

kellnoon

Jan 17, 2018
Vermont
Hello!

Came back to this trusty group who helped guide me back in 2018 when installing a standing wood stove in our fireplace. .

During our fall prep, We found a crack in our Woodstock Ideal Steel stove (photo attached) is this a relatively easy DIY patch job fix? We reached out to Woodstock but haven’t heard back and need to follow up, the temps are getting lower and we’re hoping to burn soon.
Thanks for the input!

[Hearth.com] Crack in Ideal Steel wood stove - easy fix? [Hearth.com] Crack in Ideal Steel wood stove - easy fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m surprised that you haven’t heard back from all that’s been said about the company. In any case a weld should fix it. The one doing the repair will grind out a V and want to weld it so as to not overheat and distort the hinge alignment. Then grind smooth where the door seals.

It's pretty unusual for Woodstock not to respond. Maybe on Monday.
Is there a thermometer on the stove? If so, where and what temperature is it normally running at?

Can you see the end of crack by the hinge? Looks from that picture it might be difficult to get that part ground out.

Access may look better with the door off.

I seem to remember this happening to some of the earlier stoves and thought Woodstock had a fix.

Reactions: Highbeam
This is a known issue. It was addressed by Woodstock for a number of IS owners. Update this thread on the current recommended repair.

Reactions: Highbeam and Todd
Update: Woodstock took our stove back to fix the crack. Downside - it’ll take 4-6weeks. Getting the stove out of the house and down the front stairs and loaded into the truck to drive it back to their warehouse was no easy task!

Reactions: moresnow and Todd
I recall something about them welding a whole second face or "front" onto the stove.

We had this problem about three years ago. They took it back, welded an additional plate on the front, repainted it and gave it back. All free of charge (the stove was about four years old at the time). The process of hauling the stove out, bringing it to the factory, and then bringing it home was arduous to say the least; the stove is a beast.

Now we have developed a couple of cracks in the frame around the cat, allowing some combustion gasses to bypass it. It's our first stove, so I don't if this is the kind of thing you expect after about seven or eight years. Now way I'm bringing it back to the factory again, though!

Now we have developed a couple of cracks in the frame around the cat, allowing some combustion gasses to bypass it. It's our first stove, so I don't if this is the kind of thing you expect after about seven or eight years. Now way I'm bringing it back to the factory again, though!
Shouldn't have to send it back for a cat frame I don't think?
Doesn't sound like a failure that I recall hearing about much before...do you guys have to run it pretty hard to keep up?