Crack/gap front of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crhyner

Mar 13, 2021
Yonkers, NY
Hi there,

This is my first season with my Drolet 1800i insert and so far I'm learning to use it and really love it. Just noticed today a fracture along a seam in the front of the stove. Not sure if I call this a crack, gap, or what? Anyway, not sure what caused it, or if it's even been there since installing. I don't this the fireplace floor was 100% level before the putting the stove there or not, it may have had a bump or repair in it, but it wasn't anything major at all. Or, perhaps the heat caused it?

Anyway, is this anything to worry about? Is there anything to be done? Is this just cosmetic or will that gap let air into the firebox?

thanks,

Charlie

Crack/gap front of stove Crack/gap front of stove

That doesn’t look right. I would contact Drolet. 3rd fire in mine today.

Crack/gap front of stove

That does not look right.send some pictures to sbi today and they will get back to you tomorrow.they have awesome customer service.

Any update on the issue.just wondering what the response from sbi was.

Thanks for your interest. So, surprisingly, I spoke to Drolet yesterday and the guy on the phone said he'd been with the company 10 years or so and in the industry since the 80s, and had never seen anything like this before. I told him we were careful when we had the stove installed and he assured it wasn't user error. They're kicking it up to the engineering department and will likely either replace the unit of pay to have someone come out and weld that thing together. I wasn't expecting that. So, we'll see what happens next. He said it's safe to use in the meantime (I joked that I got a cheap fresh air intake). It actually doesn't show any thing through it, so I don't think any air is getting in, just a joke. But yeah, pretty nuts.

It appears they missed welding that entire joint. I’d push for a replacement. It will have to be ground out all the way to the horizontal weld between the face and the top (you can it see on my picture). Clamped back into place. Welded, Then ground off, then finish sanded and then repainted. It’s not a big job and probably something any half decent welder should be able to do. The difficulty is in the finishing and paint.

Someone got distracted and missed a weld.
From 2009 a wood stove production line
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If they have never seen anything like that before I'd push for replacement as well.sbi is a good company I'm sure they will replace it.keep us posted.

Sigh. Not what I want to be dealing with. If they pay for the replacement and install of the replacement, I really don't care, it's just a headache. Any further opinions on welding it as is vs. replacement?

thanks,

Charlie

Friday late afternoon work? Perhaps_g

Kidding of coarse. Should be interesting what comes of this. Best of luck OP.

Plus 1 on replacement.

They may just tell you to call a welder and have them send the bill to them.

Any update from sbi?

Hi, so SBI has been alright. In short, I've called them a few times, trying to remain persistent, but polite. The case has been kicked up to the quality assurance department, and it's going to take some time to review and see what they're going to do, decide whether or not it's even fixable. When I talked to a tech last week, he said they'd likely either pay for a welder or just replace the unit, but unsure if they're include paying for install of a new unit. He also said it's totally safe to use now, and I've been using it with no issues. I shined a light from inside the stove at various angles, no light comes through. So, I think it's fine to use for now while I wait to hear back.

Question - if they do replace the unit, how hard would it be for me to take the the liner off of the old one, put the new one in, and just reattach the liner? I've looked at it appears to just be some screws and some caulk. What kind of caulk would I use? What's this process look like? Is that all it would really entail (aside of course from getting this extremely heavy stove out of my house, and another extremely heavy stove into my house). What do you think a company would charge to do this for me?

Possibly more importantly, what would I do with this current stove? Sell it? Who is going to take this off my hands or recycle it/dispose of it? Seems like a pain.

thanks,

Charlie

I cannot give you any info about the liner,I would not want the.welding and doing that work in my house.its a new stove so I personally would push for a replacement .that's just me.good luck

So I just installed my new insert. It’s not a big job but I’m thinking I would have to go to the roof loosen the band clamp on the cap then push/ pull the liner up about 6” to get the appliance connector out of the insert. Pull the old one out, new in, drop liner back down. Re screw and be done.
Should not need any caulk or stove cement.

That sounds easy but I’m thinking I I’m not sure how easy moving the liner would be. I don’t have a good place to grab up top so I’d have to reall push it up or keep the band clamp on and take the flue cap off and use it. Probably a two person operation. Moving it I was able to get it onto a furniture 4 wheel dolly from a 2 wheeler appliance dolly. Then with spotter and another person arranged cribbing I lifted one side cribbed then the other then the front then the back until we got it up to hearth height. This was the most difficult part and keeping cribbing stable was important because you are tipping it.

Hi there,

This is my first season with my Drolet 1800i insert and so far I'm learning to use it and really love it. Just noticed today a fracture along a seam in the front of the stove. Not sure if I call this a crack, gap, or what? Anyway, not sure what caused it, or if it's even been there since installing. I don't this the fireplace floor was 100% level before the putting the stove there or not, it may have had a bump or repair in it, but it wasn't anything major at all. Or, perhaps the heat caused it?

Anyway, is this anything to worry about? Is there anything to be done? Is this just cosmetic or will that gap let air into the firebox?

thanks,

Charlie

View attachment 285412 View attachment 285413
In the pictures, it looks like the inside corner of the door opening is cut square. Not radiused like it should be.

Any update from sbi on this issue?just being nosey.

SBI offered to have a welder fix the joint. I had someone come take a look and he basically said don't bother, it's a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect the stove. On top of that, he said he wouldn't want welding done in his living room, especially in a house with little kids. So, I'm going to let it go. I could be a jerk and ask SBI to send a full replacement, but then I have to pay someone to rip out this one and install a new one, and pay for, and for what? So, I wrote back and said I'm just going to let it ride, save them the cost, and maybe they could give me a promo credit or some sort of rebate. But, the stove works well and it doesn't really matter, so I think that's the end of it!

I would not want welding done in my living room either
I hope sbi remembers this and gives you a good shake on something in the future.thanks for the update.happy 🔥

This is too good not to share. I had completely let this go - see my above posts. Welder said forget about it, so I did. I told SBI I was going to let it go and maybe they could give me a rebate in the future, I would save them the trouble.

SBI just called me and said "We want to offer you $150," and I thought she as going to stop there... "and replace the stove." I said yes. They're going to cut me a check and ship me out a new stove in 2023, as soon as production comes back online because of Covid,

Wow.

Reactions: EbS-P and marty319
That is called taking care of your customers.awesome news and good on sbi for doing that.whenever I reached out to them they got back to me always. Even on a Sunday one time.you have a great Xmas and thanks for sharing the good news.

Wow indeed. Way to keep your customers happy - and have them spread the word. Class act.

Reactions: marty319