Countryside 3500P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameronk

Dec 3, 2015
United States
So here's the problem. A year old Countryside 3500P doesn't want to keep a fire going. After watching it go out multiple times I think the problem is that the auger simply isn't able to keep a consistent supply of fuel dropping into the firepot. It will run sometimes for 30 minutes, sometimes 3 hours. The auger would rotate but no fuel could be seen, or if it did eventually start feeding fuel in it was already burned out. When this happens stirring the fuel by hand seems to help. I have tried several different fuel combinations (100%Pellet, 50/50 Pellets/Corn, 25/75 Pellets/Corn) to see if the pellets were somehow bridging in the bottom of the hopper. The pellets are new and I was told a high quality, we have 3 other pellet stoves, an older Countryside and 2 St. Croix and they have had no problem with them. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Has anyone else seen this problem? Any insight would be helpful.
-Cameron

Have you emptied the hopper and just pulled out the auger from the front? Might have something impeeding flow stuck on the flights.
I know this stove way to well. Is it a feed issue or a possible air issue being to much? I was advised years ago to pull the damper out and trim the corners of the slide a bit to allow one to close it a bit further.
Welcome, you stopped by the right place to get this original multifuel stove working properly or as well as this old design can.

Last edited:
Have not pulled the auger out, that always ends up as a bigger project than expected. I'll give it a shot tho. Is it normal for the auger to go several full rotations with out dropping any fuel?

I can remember many times of things in the auger and bottom of the hopper. Just remember to get-suck all the fuel out before pulling the auger out the front. Very, very easy.
The auger has a simple slot that it fits into the drive coupling and the action friction of the auger rotating keeps it in place so a simple twist and feel to get it back into the drive coupling. Just look and see that nothing is filling the drive coupling slot.

Ours has a collar and set screw on the back where the auger shaft connects to the motor. That coupling is always super tight, trying right now I can't pull it out with everything I've got. I talked to our Countryside technician last auger jam and he said a tight fit (and I told him how tight it was) was normal and nothing to be concerned with. This is a "new" stove as of last year.

Maybe they changed the design but auger removal is was from the front.

Go to Magnums site and view the instructional video of the auger system. It details its removal for the newer system. I can't believe they still get that much $$$$ for this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.