Cost to revert fireplace back from wood stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. Bought a home built in the 70's that had a fireplace, but previous owner put in a Heatilator wood stove insert.

It's pretty cool; however he did not install it right as the liner only extends a few feet out of it, into the original terra cotta flue.

Local chimneysweeps quoted me $2,500 to install a full stainless steel liner all the way up.

I know inserts are more efficient, etc. But we honestly just want the fireplace for aesthetics and a bit of heat. The fireplace/insert is in a 300 sq ft room so it doesn't need much heat at all.

My question is, would the cost be significantly cheaper to just pull out the insert and go back to having a normal fireplace? I wasn't sure if the damper would be intact, or if its typical to cut it out, and if so, how much to install a new damper would be?

Thanks for the help

PS: Is there a market for selling a used wood stove insert? It's a Heatilator Eco Choice WINS18 that was installed last than 2 years ago. One little dent in the side but other than that, mint. Curious what these would go for in a used market.

Personally, I'd shop around and get a more competitive quote.
Fireplaces are GREAT for allowing heat to escape. Up the flue,
out the brick ... but they can't be beat for sheer beauty.

I suppose you could try and huff it by yourself and move it with
castors but you'd better make sure you have good insurance.

If you wanna sell it, you'd want it IN the fireplace for demos.

Just my wooden nickle.

d try and huff it by yourself and move it with
castors but you'd better make sure you have good insurance.

Thanks for the response. That actually was the best quote I got haha! Highest was $2900.

Have lots of friends with fireplaces and no issues. House is old and already has other drafts. We'd prefer the fireplace.

Other than moving it, what would need done to the fireplace to get it working as a fireplace again? Damper? Cost?

Reactions: Otis B Driftwood
Just because the friends have not had any issues - yet, doesn't mean that you won't. It may be ok to revert it back to a fireplace but not without a full cleaning and inspection. Old chimneys often are full of hidden issues. Our house's fireplace was a disaster waiting to happen, but you wouldn't know it to look at it.

Reactions: Otis B Driftwood
Thanks for the response. That actually was the best quote I got haha! Highest was $2900.

Have lots of friends with fireplaces and no issues. House is old and already has other drafts. We'd prefer the fireplace.

Other than moving it, what would need done to the fireplace to get it working as a fireplace again? Damper? Cost?
There is no way for us to know what is needed to go back to an open fireplace. It is possible you can just pull the insert clean it and it will be ready to go. It is also possible you will need a top damper or even a new liner for the fireplace.

Yikes, that's fireside robbery! Close to the price of a full install.

Yeah, you're in a pickle. But you're approaching the right way:
Lots of questions. Begreen's post is very clear: An inspection
is key. There could be more than repointing in the future.

Chimney Disasters:

Sista Driftwood's house sale was put in jeopardy a few years
back when the inspection revealed The Obvious:

The chimney was leaning AWAY from the house. You could
see it from the yard! The only remedy was removal. Around
here a rebuild would set one back AT LEAST $6G. Not cheap
like me, I'll tell you for sure.

So, remember: Things could be worse.

Yikes, that's fireside robbery! Close to the price of a full install.

Yeah, you're in a pickle. But you're approaching the right way:
Lots of questions. Begreen's post is very clear: An inspection
is key. There could be more than repointing in the future.

Chimney Disasters:

Sista Driftwood's house sale was put in jeopardy a few years
back when the inspection revealed The Obvious:

The chimney was leaning AWAY from the house. You could
see it from the yard! The only remedy was removal. Around
here a rebuild would set one back AT LEAST $6G. Not cheap
like me, I'll tell you for sure.

So, remember: Things could be worse.
It is the price of a full install because that is what it is. The insert would need to be unhooked from the stub pulled out. Then the chimney properly cleaned new insulated liner installed. Block off plate made and installed if there isn't one. Then the insert put back in and hooked up. Not much different from any other install.

I used alcohol burners decorated with gas logs in my fireplace before I got a wood stove. It worked fine for the 12 or so times we wanted a fire. Heck I would even set them inside the insert. This one is 7000btu. That’s something. I had 3 5000btu burners. It would warm the room in an hour

IGNIS Eco Hybrid Bio Ethanol Burner Ventless Ethanol Burner Insert EHB1800 Amazon product ASIN B01BVXPVMQ
Evan

Is there a surround plate on the insert? If so your first step would be to remove that and see if you can see a block off plate etc. If your fire place is deemed unsafe to use then it's also unsafe to use with a insert in there without a full SS insulated liner. Might as well pull it out, get an inspection and cleaning, qoute to add a new damper. It will might only cost you a afternoon removing the stove etc. They might off just removed the damper plate and left everything else intact and all you would need is a new damper plate. Take off the surround to the insert and add pictrues your thread.