Cost of Liner Installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elisurfer4

Jan 7, 2018
Richmond, VA
Hey y’all I posted here last week about HOW to install a liner into my narrow chimney flue. I ended up deciding that hiring a professional would be best... yesterday the guy cams out and measured everything and gave me this quote for 26’ of chimney:
1- Homesaver 7” 304 SS liner (oval flex)
1- oval to round connector
1- Insulation wrap
1-Appliance connector
1-9x18 top plate
1-9x18 cap
1-Building permit fee (required)

Total including labor and install: $2,063

Anyone have any comments on the quality of homesaver pro liners?

I’m here in the mid-Atlantic area, but I just wanted to test the waters here and see how you guys feel about the price of this install, as this is my first time.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey y’all I posted here last week about HOW to install a liner into my narrow chimney flue. I ended up deciding that hiring a professional would be best... yesterday the guy cams out and measured everything and gave me this quote:
1- Homesaver 7” 304 SS liner (oval flex)
1- oval to round connector
1- Insulation wrap
1-Appliance connector
1-9x18 top plate
1-9x18 cap
1-Building permit fee (required)

Total including labor and install: $2,063

I’m here in the mid-Atlantic area, but I just wanted to test the waters here and see how you guys feel about the price of this install, as this is my first time.

Cheers

Maybe I missed it but you should include the height of your chimney roughly.

The price I got for my chimney which required an oval 6” pipe and 30’ of it was almost exactly what your price is.

thanks I fixed it, 26’

Sounds like a fair price although I have zero experience with that brand so I don’t know the quality of pipe and insulation

Homesaver is good quality pipe. What liner is it though? They have several different thicknesses and construction techniques

Reactions: Mark8
Homesaver is good quality pipe. What liner is it though? They have several different thicknesses and construction techniques
He gave me a Brochure that I believe was for homesaver pro 304 stainless.. the brochure had a dude standing on the pipe to show its strength haha, good sign huh?

I had 6 inch round insulated liner installed with cap and supplies for 1000$.... Seems pretty expensive...imo. When usually most of the supplies are only around 600$ at most?

I had 6 inch round insulated liner installed with cap and supplies for 1000$.... Seems pretty expensive...imo. When usually most of the supplies are only around 600$ at most?
Did yours have to be ovalized then converted back to round and transitioned from 7” to 6” I believe that is where my price jumps

Did yours have to be ovalized then converted back to round and transitioned from 7” to 6” I believe that is where my price jumps

Plus when the pipe has to be oval it means that you starting with limited space. Which means there is a good chance that it will be a battle to get the pipe in. I watched some of the videos of a 6” pipe going right down a chimney big enough to just let the pipe slide down. Looked simple. Then I measured mine!!!

Reactions: bholler
When an installer brings the liner out how does the customer verify that's the brand he is being sold, is there manufacturer markings on it.

The liners we install are more than that our cost. You wont get a 6" round homesaver pro liner with insulation and all the components for that price. Besides he needs 7" oval. And even if the materials are only 600. That means 400 for the install. I am sorry but if i only charged 400 for 2 guys for a day i would be out of buisness in no time. There is no way that would cover costs

Reactions: Squisher and Doc C
When an installer brings the liner out how does the customer verify that's the brand he is being sold, is there manufacturer markings on it.
You check references and hire pros you trust. Yes many are labled but if you distrust them that much you should not have them working on your house to start with.

Reactions: edyit and Doc C
So I looked at my invoice. 30ft liner with insulation kit and cap and too plate was charged 625$. Total bill was 1150$. It took them about 2.5 hours total to install...

This one seems more complicated sure. But an 8 hour job? 1000 in labor almost? I mean likely that's the going rate...from everyone else's response.

But that is what it ended up costing for me sounds like my job was much easier though.

So I looked at my invoice. 30ft liner with insulation kit and cap and too plate was charged 625$. Total bill was 1150$. It took them about 2.5 hours total to install...

This one seems more complicated sure. But an 8 hour job? 1000 in labor almost? I mean likely that's the going rate...from everyone else's response.

But that is what it ended up costing for me sounds like my job was much easier though.

From the limited research I have done just for me to get a 25’ homesaver oval flex in 7” and insulation would cost right around 1500 or more. That’s not including top cap and adaptors and such. For the parts that he’s getting the cost seems good for it being installed.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I am sorry but there are many times i spend 2.5 hrs cleaning to prep for a liner. There is almost always atleast an hour of setup to be safe on the roof and to protect the house. I seriously have to question the quality of the work they did in 2.5 hours. And i have to question the quality of a 30' liner wirh insulation for 625

I am sorry but there are many times i spend 2.5 hrs cleaning to prep for a liner. There is almost always atleast an hour of setup to be safe on the roof and to protect the house. I seriously have to question the quality of the work they did in 2.5 hours. And i have to question the quality of a 30' liner wirh insulation for 625
CAN I GET AN AMEN BROTHER?!! _g Sounds like a peachy job they did there.

Hell, I can't buy 30' of liner and components PLUS 30' of insulation and materials AND add shipping for 625 let alone resell it for that. Maybe 25 years ago but I even doubt it then. Quite honestly, at the price that is quoted to ol' Eli here I'd say he's getting a hell of a deal! 7" liner, insulation and components.... It sure tain't that cheap around here. Thank God. I'd have to get another job.

Hell, I can't buy 30' of liner and components PLUS 30' of insulation and materials AND add shipping for 625 let alone resell it for that. Maybe 25 years ago but I even doubt it then. Quite honestly, at the price that is quoted to ol' Eli here I'd say he's getting a hell of a deal! 7" liner, insulation and components.... It sure tain't that cheap around here. Thank God. I'd have to get another job.
Well this makes me feel pretty good! I think the guy I’m working with is just genuinely a good person and wants to give the most he can for the least he can charge, and I’m very appreciative of it. My in laws even told me that this guy cleaned their chimney free of charge once.

My suggestion is that You need to ask yourself how efficient you want your insert to operate. If your wanting to achieve the highest operating efficiency you have been provided all the info on this forum to achieve it. If that's your goal then print out all the info with pictures and take it to your salesman and ask him if he can install your insert exactly the way YOU want it, and have him give you a price. Make sure you have him detail every piece of material on the quote, including that he will be installing the insert per your requests and documents provided. Remember if it's not in writing then you have no recourse later.

Now that you have a solid money figure to work with and you know they will install it per your request you can now determine if it's in your budget, if you can handle the cost do it, if it's to high you might want to wait with the install and save more money. If you can't wait this is where the cutting corners comes in, the block off plate built like on the forum is really nice and your going to be charged for that compared to slamming insulation in the hole and this is where efficiency is lost. Like others have suggested you could do the block off plate later but keep in mind you will need to pull the insert, go on the roof and raise your liner up and various other things and that is where you need to determine if you have the mechanical ability to perform those tasks.

This is where people get in trouble, they let a salesman tell them how the insert will be installed, you did your homework now it's time to tell him exactly what YOU want, if your salesman will not sit down and discuss your various options or refuses to do what I mentioned above then you need to find someone else that is willing to work with you, don't let your excitement of getting the stove installed get you into a half ass install.

Every time I have ever hired someone to do a project I always wound up doing it over correctly, remember the word professional does not mean anything, unfortunately the word is synonymous with someone who is in business, one professional does crappy work and the other professional does excellent work. I prefer the word perfectionist over professional, it describes better the quality of work someone does.

The fireplace dealer that I hired has been in business for thirty five years, same owner and same installer and I got a pretty bad hack job that I am doing over right now. I'm sure this dealer considers himself a pro and his five star references didn't mean squat, probably friends and relatives. So get EVERYTHING in writing down to the last nut and bolt or you will be sorry.

Let's say your estimate says liner insulation and when he goes to install it he does not put a wire mesh over the insulation and it tears on the way down, you have no recourse because it wasn't listed in the quote and you probably will never know it happened because it's down inside your chimney. This is just an example of what can go wrong without you knowing or because it was not listed in the estimate.

So weigh your efficiency goals with your budget.

Hope this insight helps a little with your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed the manufacturer of homesaver liner and asked this question:

How can I identify your liners from other manufacturers, is the liner marked with your name or other identifying features.

There response:

Mark, it can be difficult to determine the liner manufacturer without paperwork. There are no tags on it.

Thanks

Matt.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick

How can I identify your liners from other manufacturers, is the liner marked with your name or other identifying features.

There response:

Mark, it can be difficult to determine the liner manufacturer without paperwork. There are no tags on it.

Thanks

Matt.
Ok i am sorry but i have been doing this a long time and i will never list everything i will be using bevausr i simply dont know untill i do the job. I give a quote for a job it details the type of liner the type of insulation and the price. And any other major details. And no i dont discuss options. I propose the eay i am going to do the job which is what i feel is the safest and most durable way to do it. If the customer doesnt like it they can go elsewhere.

Just because you got screwed over doesnt mean everyone else is going to get the same treatment.

Yeah we see his work out this way occasionally also. It is pretty bad

Ok i am sorry but i have been doing this a long time and i will never list everything i will be using bevausr i simply dont know untill i do the job. I give a quote for a job it details the type of liner the type of insulation and the price. And any other major details. And no i dont discuss options. I propose the eay i am going to do the job which is what i feel is the safest and most durable way to do it. If the customer doesnt like it they can go elsewhere.

Just because you got screwed over doesnt mean everyone else is going to get the same treatment.

And that attitude is the sign to run like hell and don't look back.

There response:

Thanks

Matt.

And no homesaver has there name imprinted on all of their liners

My intention was certainly not to offend anyone. I have a Duraflex stainless steel liner I still have some of the leftover Duraflex insulation and the dura Flex tape for the insulation. That being said the chimney is a clay flue that is 13 in by 13 in so it doesn't take a lot of work to get a 6-inch liner down it and it's a straight shot. Also I did have a problem with the previous install before this was put in and I did have to pay a separate sweep $650 to mechanically and chemically remove all the massive amounts of glazed creosote from the chimney clay tiles before I had the flexible stainless steel insulated liner installed. I certainly would listen to everyone else who have far more experience than I do. You asked how much people were charged and I relayed when my installation costs were. It certainly seems like your chimney needs a lot more work than mine.

Reactions: Mark8
Status
Not open for further replies.