Cost for flush wood insert install? Linerkit? Accessories?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

esguardian

May 31, 2018
outside Philadelphia
I've been looking at purchasing a wood insert for our home. We wanted a flush insert but with a catalytic combustor. It seems like the Lopi flush insert is an option. Not sure of other models but this one was available at our local store, the only installer near us, seems to be charging way more than I anticipated.

Is it normal to pay $1300 for the liner? Then an additional $900 for install. Also will most fireplace stores allow you to buy and have a chimney sweep install it instead?

Curious what you guys think of the below quote. Does it seem high or is this the norm? Cost for flush wood insert install? Linerkit? Accessories?

Last edited:
Is this a 2 story liner installation? If so the price is not out of line if it is a heavy duty insulated liner. The insert installation price is a bit high, but this is peak season. Is this an exterior wall chimney? If yes, will an insulated block-off plate be installed in the damper area?

Another flush catalytic insert to consider is the Blaze King Sirocco 25.

Is this a 2 story liner installation? If so the price is not out of line if it is a heavy duty insulated liner. The insert installation price is a bit high, but this is peak season. Is this an exterior wall chimney? If yes, will an insulated block-off plate be installed in the damper area?

Yes this is a 2 story installation. No mention of insulated block off plate. Is that necessary?

Yes this is a 2 story installation. No mention of insulated block off plate. Is that necessary?
It will be an extra cost option. If this is an exterior chimney, an insulated block-off plate and if possible, some insulation behind the insert, can make a significant increase in heat output.

Ah yes forgot to mention that it is an exterior chimney. Thanks for the info

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I would shop around more.
First step is to decide what you want. (Hardest part)
Then call dealers all over and ask for a cash discount. Some will some will not.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: esguardian
Darktowers advise is good. But i would also not recomend simply picking the cheapest contractor. You may end up fixing problems caused by cost cutting measures.

no insulated block-off plate plus external chimney plus no insulation between the insert and the masonry = no heat.........

All your heat from the stove is goin up the chimney or out through the masonry.

Have you considered a non flush mount ? I have a non flush stove insert and it has about 1 foot of stove top sticking out from the hearth fireplace etc. so you get decent radiant heat from that exposed portion. If your not going to go the extra distance and install a block off plate then I would look at a non flush mount.

No scientific or industry experience to back up what I said. Just using common logic. More exposed steel more radiant heat.

Darktowers advise is good. But i would also not recomend simply picking the cheapest contractor. You may end up fixing problems caused by cost cutting measures.

100% correct. Use Chuck with a truck to mow your yard...Experts do chimney work. There’s a reason it costs so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bholler
100% correct. Use Chuck with a truck to mow your yard...Experts do chimney work. There’s a reason it costs so much.

Just make sure the expert is experienced with wood burning stoves and inserts. In some areas wood stoves are not popular. So the hearth store you go to might be used to doing mostly gas fireplaces and gas stoves etc. they might only install wood stoves once in awhile.

You want someone installing it that is familiar with wood burning appliances they will know things like proper clearances, best chimney liners to use for your stove to get best performance, best stove for your house and room it’s going in, etc. there’s a lot of variables that go into making sure you end up with a wood stove that is the right fit and one that gives optimal performance.

So make sure your installer knows all about this so you get the best product and installation for your money

Thanks for the feedback. Guess the quote is on point. I just thought it was on the high side, it's like buying two stoves?!

Definitely will be insisting on a block off plate, if I move forward with this purchase. (I may say screw it, save my money and take my kids to Disney instead [emoji23] ) There are way too many variables to consider.

The flush catalytic category is slim, so I may have to expand to the non flush option or non cat option. [emoji2371]

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk