Corded Electric Chainsaw with no mechanical chain brake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

kjc

Oct 7, 2024
Madison, WI
I just bought a Ryobi corded electric chainsaw (13 Amp, 16" bar). I live in a fairly dense urban neighborhood and am going to be processing wood from a local tree service. I want to use the electric saw for bucking so I don't annoy my neighbors.

Instead of a normal mechanical chain brake, the saw just has a fixed plastic guard where the brake should be, and the package says it has an "Internal Automatic Chain Brake for More User Control." I can't find any info about what that actually means or how it responds in a kickback situation.

Is this typical for electric saws? My gut is that having a conventional brake is an important kickback safety feature, so I am hesitant to go without one. Looking for advice, and taking recommendations on any other corded electric saws that people have experience with.

The way I read it is the chain break is the electric motor cutting power to the motor stops the chain
As with a gas saw instantaneously. In my eyes, it is good to go. It works like a gas saw your hand hits
the bar on a kick backstopping the chain

I have a Makita unit corded, reason i bought this one, all metal gear train. Unlike most all of others i have seen with a big plastic ring gear and brass pinion gear. Which, if it gets jammed up, strips the plastic gear. At the moment and not being at home I do not remember if it has a traditional chain brake. Looked it up, it has an electric brake. The purpose intended for the unit is the same as yours. and allows for cutting inside during in-climate conditions with out fumes. I am not particularly fond of the battery powered units.

It may have an inertial break, like my echo cs 4910 has (also a manual break tho).

Turn the saw on and push the guard, does it have an electric switch that kills the chain?

Electric brakes have been common place on corded tools for a while, I'm sure it's the same here.