Cord Calculator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As has been said countless times in countless threads, "face cord" is not a measure of volume, it is a measure of area. It's 32 sq.ft. x "something". It may be useful if you know the length of split, or for managing your own stacking area, but it doesn't tell you anything about how much wood you're actually buying or moving.

I think people like to use them just because it makes bigger numbers, by a factor of 2x to 4x, depending on how long you cut your wood (12" to 24"). Hey, I burn 27 "face cords" of wood per year! ;lol No one knows how much wood that actually is.

standard face cord here is 4x8x16" 110 delivered.400 for bush cord not sure if they add on delivery to price
When I was in High School 50 years ago I went to a Vocational School in the morning and then regular school in the afternoon. In the Vocational School I took up Conservation and Forestry. I/we were taught in that class that a " Cord " of wood was 4x8x4ft. and that a " Face Cord " was 4x8x 16in. 16 Inches was considered " Fire Place Length ". It makes sense as when one cuts up a " Cord " for a fireplace , 3 " Face Cords " can be had as 16 in. x 3 is 48 inches ( 4ft ). I don't believe that wood stoves were as common back then as now and the variety of brands and size is almost mind boggling these days. Fireplaces were more common back then hense the term " fireplace length ". A full " cord " of wood still needs to be C/S/S to whatever length the owner wants for his stove prior to curing , a " face cord " fully cured is ready to go.

A full " cord " of wood still needs to be C/S/S to whatever length the owner wants for his stove prior to curing , a " face cord " fully cured is ready to go.

Out here we measure split and stacked firewood in 128 cubic foot cords, i.e 4x8x4. Before it's split and stacked it's just a guess.

Reactions: bigealta