cooking on an EPA stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Campcook

Nov 8, 2017
New Hampshire
Anyone have experience cooking on high efficiency stoves? I have a lot of experience with wood cook stoves and the old air tight stoves, but I'm having trouble cooking on my new EPA stove. The stove top temp is about 500 degrees but still no luck.

Any thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

Last edited:
Of course, it depends on what you are cooking and what your heat needs are, but don't forget about cooking inside of it.

A lot of cooking can be done with cast iron and a good bed of coals.

I've cooked on my epa stove, but really, slow cooking is more like it.

You really need the removable opening of a cook stove if you want to use a stove as effectively as an actual burner.

Anyone have experience cooking on high high efficiency stoves? I have a lot of experience with wood cook stoves and the old air tight stoves, but I'm having trouble cooking on my new EPA stove. The stove top temp is about 500 degrees but still no luck.

Cast iron pot with lid and slow cook your meats. One pot, loaded with meats, cover, put on early in the day, and let your meats slowly tenderize and cook throughout the day. The Mrs and I cook on our stove top at least once a month, sometimes more often. Stews, chili, sauces, briskets, roasts, chicken, pork or tube meats. They all cook well in the slow pot mode. It's not something you can do every day, but it is enjoyable on a cold weekend. We even put potatoes or winter squash in the firebox. Do be aware your tube meats will cook much quicker than your standard full cuts, bone-in or boned not withstanding. Manly

Anyone have experience cooking on high high efficiency stoves? I have a lot of experience with wood cook stoves and the old air tight stoves, but I'm having trouble cooking on my new EPA stove. The stove top temp is about 500 degrees but still no luck.

We've cooked on and in the stove. What is your stove make and model?