Converting from stove back to open fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heffergm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
I've currently got a somewhat oversized Vermont Castings wood stove installed on the hearth of what was originally an open fireplace. I've been burning with it for the last ~6 years. It's vented out the back through a 90 elbow, into a 6" liner that runs all the way up the masonry (clay lined) chimney.

I want to get rid of the stove and convert it back to a standard open fireplace. My question is, to do so, other than putting a damper back on it, do I need to remove the liner? I would assume yes, which is going to be a giant PITA. Having watched it be put in originally, they really struggled to get it through (the chimney isn't a straight shot... it has a bit of a bend at the beginning).

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

I've currently got a somewhat oversized Vermont Castings wood stove installed on the hearth of what was originally an open fireplace. I've been burning with it for the last ~6 years. It's vented out the back through a 90 elbow, into a 6" liner that runs all the way up the masonry (clay lined) chimney.

I want to get rid of the stove and convert it back to a standard open fireplace. My question is, to do so, other than putting a damper back on it, do I need to remove the liner? I would assume yes, which is going to be a giant PITA. Having watched it be put in originally, they really struggled to get it through (the chimney isn't a straight shot... it has a bit of a bend at the beginning).

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
Why do you want to go back to an open fireplace? Have you considered a better stove?