Convective wood stove for shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDeer

Dec 17, 2016
Pacific NW
I have a 5,000 ft2 uninsulated shop and am seeking recommendations. Location is Portland, Oregon.

First off, nothing will "heat" an uninsulated shop with high bay ceilings. 18' eaves, 30' peak.

Purpose is to find a reasonably priced wood stove, used is okay, to provide a heat source for hand warming purposes. If the stove convects reasonably I will locate it close to the work bench area. I can also put a fan behind it provided that a fan doesn't just create wind chill in an uninsulated building.

Partitioning with a canvas curtain, or building an internal insulated room (shop within a shop) isn't an option.

The shop and stove only gets used on an occasional Saturday. Infrequent burning. Less than a dozen days a year, maybe even half that number of days when I spend any appreciable time in the shop and would want to build a fire.

Any words of wisdom you'd care to share?

Go big. :)

Reactions: Woody Stover
double barrel stove

A hand warmer for use 6 days a year in a 120,000cf uninsulated box?

Sterno. Electric space heater if you want to get fancy.

Why go to all the work and expense (and the roof penetration) of a wood stove when a $20 electric space heater will do exactly the same amount of heating for far less money?

Also, why do you have a small aircraft hangar that you use one week a year? ;)

Last edited:
Convective wood stove for shop

I would go with a big propane heater for as often as you use it I cant see that it would be worth the money for the stove and chimney.

A hand warmer for use 6 days a year in a 120,000cf uninsulated box?

Sterno. Electric space heater if you want to get fancy.

Why go to all the work and expense (and the roof penetration) of a wood stove when a $20 electric space heater will do exactly the same amount of heating for far less money?

Also, why do you have a small aircraft hangar that you use one week a year? ;)

Maybe you're right about using a space heater or three. Instant heat wherever you happen to be standing. :)

I got tired of my using my wife's horse barn and dealing with all the dust those critters create. It wouldn't matter if the building was insulated because I wouldn't want to heat it anyway. As for why... well, I have a lot of hunting and fishing gear, plus a few tools, a couple of lawn mowers, maybe some other stuff. Outdoors occupies more of my time. Lot of stuff to do outside vs inside. Hard to do the outside stuff in winter, but inside is like standing in a meat locker this time of year.