Convection Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mystereons

Oct 8, 2020
Upstate NY
Hi all, I’m new to wood stoves! I’ve been reading about different types of stoves and I’ve heard that convection stoves are good for hearing multiple rooms. I am not having a lot of luck finding manufacturers that make convection wood stoves. So far I’ve found Morso and Jotul. Are there any other manufacturers? Looking for something affordable. If there’s a particular model you recommend let me know. Thanks!

All stoves radiate and convect heat. It's just that some designs have a bias toward one or the other. This often will show up within the same company. To get a sense of this, look at how the stove is designed. Does it have an outer jacket of steel or cast-iron or is there none? Does it have a lid on the top with an airspace between the stovetop and lid or is the stovetop exposed? For example, the Jotul F500 is a cast-iron stove that is highly radiant. It has no jacket or convection lid. The Jotul F45 orF55 on the other hand are steel stoves with a cast iron jacket that has a gap between the inner and outer layers through which heated air flows. Pacific Energy stoves are more convective because they all have a jacket (steel or cast iron) surrounding the stove body. The Blaze King Princess body and stove top are fully exposed making it more radiant than the convective BK Ashford which has a cast-iron jacket and a convection lid on top.

What Begreen said. Additionally, radiant heat is transferred to objects in the surrounding room, convective heat is transferred to the surrounding air. Adding a blower to a convective stove will increase the transfer of heat from the stove to the room. However, using a fan to blow air across a more radiant stove will also increase its convective heat transfer.

A wood furnace is a convective stove. I have an ancient add on version in my shop. Its steel firebox covered on the top sides and back with another box. There is snap disk in the space between the boxes and blower fan down low on the back, with an 10" duct connection on the top. Definitely ugly and not very efficient due to the air introduction but once that fan kicks on it heats a 24 by 28 poorly insulated structure downright toasty.

Lopi offers stoves with convective heat, as is the Hearthstone Manchester, Pacific Energy "T" series, Blaze King Ashford series, some Quadra-fire stoves, DS Machine stoves burn coal and wood and nearly all use convection. There's likely a few more out there. All these have some sort of jacket, or air space that draws cooler air from somewhere via natural currents and pushes warm air out the exit of these air gaps...sometimes at decent speeds. The Lopi wood stoves do a great job blowing air without fans, but fans can be added. I will add that the DS stoves do just as well or better at this, but are mainly coal stoves for burning anthracite coal, but they will also burn wood quite well...they just are not allowed to advertise being wood burners because of epa regulations.

Thanks everyone! All your suggestions are very helpful. Now I have some where to start looking for a stove that leans toward convective heat. :cool:

I haver a Morso 5660 flush insert and I almost never use the blower. It has a sloped, finned cast iron top angled toward the opening. And a huge front glass. It heats up the LR, dining room, kitchen just fine. 10 years now, no complaints at all, not a dime in stove maintenance.

I haver a Morso 5660 flush insert and I almost never use the blower. It has a sloped, finned cast iron top angled toward the opening. And a huge front glass. It heats up the LR, dining room, kitchen just fine. 10 years now, no complaints at all, not a dime in stove maintenance.
That's a helpful and interesting observation. When the 5660 first came out there were a few complaints about not enough heat from the insert and inquires about adding a blower. It's a handsome insert and good to know that it's working well for you. Heating ability also depends on the house insulation and sealing.

Funny I posted this same question about two weeks ago, not a single reply, haha
Well, it looks like there was one reply >>. I was away for that weekend and missed your posting. The short answer is yes, there are many convective stoves. Wake that thread up again if you still have questions.

Reactions: 31 bertram
That's a helpful and interesting observation. When the 5660 first came out there were a few complaints about not enough heat from the insert and inquires about adding a blower. It's a handsome insert and good to know that it's working well for you. Heating ability also depends on the house insulation and sealing.

One of the reasons we got it, because there is 13 ' x 5 1/2", 18 pane hand built in place bay window on the opposite wall, And although the panes are double glass, it still is not as thermally efficient as a new window.