Convection Blower failure.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthEast

Jan 4, 2007
Hi,

I'm a new owner of a Breckwell Big E. Over all the unit seems easy enough to use and maintain. However, I have had the Convection Blower seize up after only 4 months. I followed the recommended warnings as far as not running the stove on its highest setting for more than an hour. The Convection Blower also showed signs of fatigue and stopped working at 3 months. At that time I removed the blower and inspected it, cleaned it and tested it. Re-installed and only got one more month out of it before failure / seizure.

Has anyone experienced similar Blower failures on fairly new Breckwell's ?

I am attempting to get this one replaced under warranty.
I am concerned that this may be a frequent problem that continues beyond my warranty period.

I see no other maintenance for the blower other than cleaning the blower blades.... no lube points...
Any other suggestions on maintaining the health of these fans is welcomed.

Thanks from the Northeast.

Welcome to the forums........ :)

I just don't understand why someone would make a blower, include a speed, then tell you not to run it for over an hour or two at a time on number 5 setting..........

I don't have one, but I would sure be in contact with the company on this. These blowers should last for years if you keep them clean from dust, hair and debri.

Robbie

There is a Thread that someone posted a few days ago with the same TYPE of problem with the big E
only he is smelling burnt smell.
Good reasonto try searching the forums before posting.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5644/

This is why I no longer Sell breckwell ONLY PARTS
they NEVER HARD test there stoves for a LONG time before giving them to the public.

From the types of pellet stove failures (blowers and augers) I have been hearing about I am thinking the manufactures should really look at how their great grandfathers would have designed the stove.
You should be able to drop any number of Long pellets and plastic Godzilla's into the hopper and the auger should just grind them up and shove them into the burner.

If it breaks make it bigger and stronger. :)

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I wondered myself why Breckwell didn't use components that would withstand the highest temp settings.

I noticed another post where someone was searching for alternate fans.
I would think I could find a blower made for higher temps that would fit.

Lennox looks similar 95CFM / 3000 RPM ….. could be the same fan mfg.

AllTemp looks like they have every stove fan type available.
http://www.alltemp.ca/pdfs/2006 Fireplace.pdf

For now I will use the warranty replacement fan I get….. well see if it lasts.

thks
NE

Are these blower motors on these stoves variable speed?

If so are they AC induction motors or DC or universal?

If AC induction how are they changing the speed?
Do they have multiple windings so they can change the number of poles like the typical three speed box fan, or is the controller an inverter so they can control the frequency and voltage going to the motor, or is it just a cheap simple phase control like a light dimmer?

If they are using a phase control with an AC induction motor it will control the speed but it does unnatural things to the motor (slow speeds will be at very high slip frequencies) causing it to run hot, make buzzing noises and burn out even when there is very little load on the motor. This is also the least expensive way to go. :)

They are shaded pole blowers that are one speed.
the Voltage to the blower is controled by the circuit board

Status
Not open for further replies.