Convection Blower at Full Blast When Starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

karn77

Dec 29, 2018
Maryland
My wife and I bought a house that came with a 08 Quadrafire Mt Vernon last summer. Last winter we had no issues which was nice considering my wife and I have had no previous experience with pellet stoves. This winter however is a different story. Last month I had to replace the ignitor. Not a big deal, easy fix. Last week the bad TC error message came up. Ordered a new one and installed it yesterday which took care of the error code. Now however, a new problem has come up. When I plug the pellet stove back in the convection blower immediately goes full blast and when the pellets ignite the Max Drop Tube Temp error comes on within 30 seconds, shutting the stove down. I will mention I have throughly cleaned the pellet stove-the baffler, behind the baffler, the vents at the bottom in the back, the exhaust blower, took convection blower off and cleaned inside, cleaned the blower, the exhaust pipe going outside...everything. Really stumped. Cant find anything with google regarding this issue.
Two other things I will mention- I have the baffler crack that everyone sees to have, right where everyone seems to have it. And, when I replaced the thermocouple I used the cover I had with the old one. Its really blacked one one side but no cracks or deformities. Don't think those things are related to the issue but I figured I'd mention them anyway.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Try sanding the drop tube thermocouple end that fastens on the droptube. Also sand the drop tube in that area. Sometimes a little rust will inhibit its ability to do its job.You can test the drop tube thermocouple to see if it is producing millivolts. If this doesn't fix it, might be time for a new drop tube thermocouple. kap