Q&A Consolidated Dutchwest catalytic converter/baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I purchased a used CD stove back in November and am just getting it installed in my house. It had been used for approximately 6 seasons and the converter had been replaced 2 years ago, being used 1 season and sitting idle till now. At a closer look of the inside of the stove, I notice the baffle (waffle-shaped plate) is not in great shape, i.e., part of it is missing. Would this need to be replaced for the catalytic converter to perform most efficiently? If so, how would I take it apart and where would I be able to find the part? Thanks!

Answer:

I assume you are speaking of the cast plate suspended below the cat.

This piece is designed to reduce the flame impingement on the catalytic converter...sort of as a guard and diffuser for the flame to get through before entering the honeycomb.

If large portions of it are missing, I think it should be replaced. You should be able to find the part either at a knowledgeable VC dealer or at Woodman Associates at hearth.com/partsplace.html

Status
Not open for further replies.