considering trading in my Hearthstone Heratage, recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bruh44

Mar 6, 2020
North Carolina
I have an 8" lined chimney. The Hearthstone has not heated well for me at all. I've had many reasons suggested but what it comes down to is this thing just doesn't put the heat out I want. What's the best large wood stove with an 8" chimney that can vent from the back.
The fireplace opening is 30x35 so if it was a top vent, part if it would need to fit in there. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably with glass.

There could be a few reasons why the stove is not heating well outside of its normal performance. It is on an oversized liner for one. If the liner is short and uninsulated without a blockoff plate that would be a major factor.

How tall is the liner? Is the liner insulated? Is there an insulated block-off plate sealing the damper area? Is this an exterior wall chimney?

To figure out what will fit. Is the Heritage top venting? How far back does the fireplace height stay at 30"? Past the damper area?

8” pipe is old school. Your options are few. Some are being made obsolete by the 2020 regs which come into effect on may 15 so good news, you can still install one if you can buy it.

There is the big regency 5100 which the 2020 compliant model is the 5200. There is the hearthstone equinox, looks like a heritage but twice as big. There is the Blazeking king. There is the big kuma that is supposed to be a beast but not 2020 compliant.

There are many stoves that make way more heat than the dinky heritage (I owned one for several years) but can also be attached to your 8” flue.

There could be a few reasons why the stove is not heating well outside of its normal performance.
Right, let's try to get to the bottom of the problem before giving up on what you already have.
What sq. footage are you trying to heat? What is the layout?
begreen makes a great point; If you're not getting good draft on the stove because of the oversized liner, the stove won't breathe well enough to get good secondary burn from the tubes in the top of the box, and you won't get much heat out of the stove. Are you getting a secondary burn?
When was the liner last swept? Is there even a liner or is it an 8" square flue tile chimney? Is there a bird screen on the cap..is it clean?
How long was your wood split, stacked, top-covered only and dried in the wind?

Woody Stover some of your questions are answered in the OP’s first thread about this.

Woody Stover some of your questions are answered in the OP’s first thread about this.
Thanks, I didn't look closely enough at the OP's username.
I don't know of any 8" stove that rear-vents..