Considering a corn stove looking for the best

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lloyd the redneck

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2016
Western mn
Now that corn is pretty much worthless again I'm considering using it for heat. I have acess to as much corn as I want and also access to a dryer to run a batch to whatever moisture is required. I have been searching and reading a lot but I was wondering what "the best" new corn stove would be ?

You cant beat a manual start St Croix. As long as corn is dry enough to store (14%) it will burn fine. Theyare easy to start and burn flawless. Best corn burning technology in my opinion. No stir motor ect.

I have a Greenfield (St. Croix) that has given me 13 years of pretty good service. I have replaced the bearings in the convection fan a couple of times, I now have two and keep one ready to go for back up)...but other than that it is pretty good. The dealer tried to sell me a Bixby at the time but it didn't suit the looks of our home...am glad I didn't. Remember the KISS rule for things you want to have for a long time.
What is corn going for in your area? Up here in Canada we are somewhere around 12 to 13 cents a pound. With pellets going for 15 to 16 cents a pound I think it is time for me to switch back. I always thought my stove ran better on corn anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Thanks for the input ! Corn is going for around 2$-2.25 a bushel. I have 30000bu of storage in my yard that I rent out to a neighbor so essentially it's free, I already trade part of the space for hay. So why not use it for heat bill too !

I just paid 3.37/bu. which is about .06 cents/lb. I buy direct from a farmer friend. I bring gravity wagon to him and he fills it. I pay $.05 over what elevator pays him.