Condensation on ceiling support box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwatkinson2

Feb 5, 2021
Alaska
I've been having this issue with my wood stove since moving into my new home where if it gets cold enough my ceiling support box gets wet with condensation and often times will freeze with pieces of ice forming on the box (-30-40 F here in Alaska). This is obviously when the stove is not in use. Here's a pic (Trim pieces were removed by me when looking things over.)

I got a handle on the humidity in the house and it's now down to 25% during the winter season, but it's still too cold for windows and other cold surfaces to handle. This stove was installed by the builder at my request and he said that it's actually a good thing as it shows that no insulation was placed near the pipe. I agree with him, but I also think it's odd that there's nothing preventing the moisture besides loading up the stove and burning it off. I'd hate for things to get wet and rusty just because I went away on vacation!

Is this just something that one has to deal with if they're not using the stove or is there a product that can help me out?

I would say your extreme weather conditions tend to create extreme circumstances. The cold air from the attic is hitting the warm metal in the house, creating the condensation. I would say your attic needs to be warmer, but in those temps I doubt that’s possible.

Reactions: Highbeam