Concrete over earth install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sailrmike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2017
A buddy of mine loves my new Oslo V3 so much that he's planning to purchase and install one soon. It would be installed on a concrete slab, poured over earth. Priming, painting, and sealing of the concrete will take place shortly before the stove is installed. Are the cured primer, paint, and sealant considered combustible? Should the concrete be left bare? Thanks in advance

I expect it will be ok for ember protection as long as it's allowed to cure properly. The slab will never get too hot to touch. When in doubt, download the manufacturer's data sheet or call their tech support and ask.

Reactions: Sailrmike
A general comment is be sure he insulates under the slab if its on grade, otherwise, its sucks a lot of heat out of the room. If its in climate where its cold enough for frost issues in the ground, its very important that it be done right as there could be frost heaving due to the soil at the edges freezing while the center is thawed from the wood stove heat.

Yes, in a cold climate the floor will need insulation (underneath or on top) or it's going to suck up a lot of heat.

Our climate in this area can sometimes see a week or two of below zero overnight temps in the winter with single digit days for a week or so. The most common way I see slabs on grade being poured is to put rigid 1.5 to 2 inch insulation vertically against the inside of the stem walls (the vertical poured part sitting on the footings that go up to finished floor level) with the last several inches being chamfered toward the outside.

Additionally, I have been on job sites where probably as many as a thousand different slab pours have happened. I have seen them sealed cured and finished in dozens and dozens of ways. I have yet to meet the ironworker that is shy about dropping welding splatter all over these slabs once they are completed. I think you will be fine.