combuster & new yorker wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cabman

Sep 22, 2012
can a combuster be put on an indoor wood boiler to eliminate some creosote build up? i can get a get a used new yorker wood boiler very cheap right now but i`m worried about the creosote build in my chimney. my chimney is 36' and i don`t need a fire in it.

thank you

As a former NY W/C130 owner, all I can tell you is you get what you pay for. I modified mine for secondary combustion with stainless air tubes and a vermiculite baffle, with preheated air. To say the least, it was not worth my welding time and the $150 in materials and day I wasted cleaning it all up to weld in. I bought a gasser, sold the NY for 75% of what I paid for it, and called it good.

The NY is a well made water jacked box, with a removable baffle.

TS

taylor, your saying not to waste my time right? what if i put the boiler outside and didn`t worry about creosote. would it be worth it then?

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.