Coaling before reloading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
As long as possible. Open the primary air if you need to accelerate the coal burn down and still keep the place warm. The longer you can let the coals burn down the more room to reload splits. Kind of dependent on outside temps.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
As long as it is keeping me warm i dont mess with it. When house starts cooling off i reload. Like stated above if your needing more heat and the firebox is full of coals...give it more air to burn them down so you can fit as much wood in as possible. Just leave yourself enough for a easy restart. With well seasoned wood it doesnt take much.

Like a lot of burning habits, it depends. Do I need to fit the maximum amount in for the next load? Is the house cold? Am I going to be home?
If I'm going to be around, I'll often throw a couple of chunks in before the coals burn down a lot. Less fussing this way as I can throw em in, wait a couple minutes, then set the air to 50% and leave it.

Like Blacktail said . . . it all depends. How cold is the house? How warm is it going to be outside? Am I home for awhile or do I need to leave within the next hour or so?