Coal stoker vented with pellet pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRemington

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2017
Belleville New York
Who would have thought it possible.

Attachments

• Coal stoker vented with pellet pipe
    A010CBAA-3070-4A4B-A21F-FF5ADB0B4FA6.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 138
    7AFCF887-C570-4CCB-AFC7-B125E469082E.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 148
    C29D02F2-E516-47D5-A432-612EDC160838.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 151
    C715C7D4-0877-42A2-AC06-D0D46AA452A5.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 142
Is this a DS Stove prototype? Not listed on their site. Facebook link is worthless.

Very nice.

Is this a DS Stove prototype? Not listed on their site. Facebook link is worthless.
It’s the prototype. They’ve been building this for years it seems. There’s a group of dealers burning them this winter. They made 50. So far very nice. Everything is stepped down to 24 v DC. Very hot and very efficient. Are you familiar with DS?

Are you familiar with DS?
A bit, but not much. I am wondering how long pellet vent pipe will stand up under the corrosive fumes of coal burning and whether any pipe manufacturer has approved of it for this use.

A bit, but not much. I am wondering how long pellet vent pipe will stand up under the corrosive fumes of coal burning and whether any pipe manufacturer has approved of it for this use.
It actually is recommended with the Ultimate One DV Pellet Vent. But it is approved for P Vent. I also wonder about the pipe over a few years.

Yes, 304 stainless may not last that long.

How noisy is it? Is the stove constructed similar to a pellet stove but for pea coal? That is, does it have a combustion and convection fan system?

That’s what I hear from a lot of people.
How can chimney manufacturers approve their pipe for coal burning? Even Dura-Tech approves their pipe for coal and its 430 SS. I don’t get it?

Would think it would take rice coal. As long as no moisture gets into the pipe it should last a long time. Moisture would create sulfuric acid of sorts. Not a good thing for any chimney.

Would think it would take rice coal. As long as no moisture gets into the pipe it should last a long time. Moisture would create sulfuric acid of sorts. Not a good thing for any chimney.
So in a lab environment it’s fine, just not so much out here in the real world. Hope I can get at least 5-6 years out of mine.

How can chimney manufacturers approve their pipe for coal burning? Even Dura-Tech approves their pipe for coal and its 430 SS. I don’t get it?
No one else in the industry agrees that 430 is acceptable for the inner wall of a chimney. And from the corrosion we see on 430 outer skins I agree. Certainly not for coal

Reactions: webby3650
I hope this stove works out. So far I have not been at all impressed with the engineering from ds.

Have you read what many of their warranties say about coal?

How noisy is it? Is the stove constructed similar to a pellet stove but for pea coal? That is, does it have a combustion and convection fan system?
It has a double reburn system. It also has a combustion fan, convection fan and a exhaust “helper fan” if the stove senses the exhaust flow is low. It’s fairly quiet but a little louder on the med high and high setting. It does throw a lot of heat.

No one else in the industry agrees that 430 is acceptable for the inner wall of a chimney. And from the corrosion we see on 430 outer skins I agree. Certainly not for coal
430 is used by several manufacturers (Security, Metalfab, Amerivent Ameritec). The reason given is it has the least amount of expansion when heated, about half that of 304. The claim is this prevents gaps in the insulation and prevents hot spots from appearing which could cause a fire. It's fine for wood, but 316 would be a better choice for coal.

Have you read what many of their warranties say about coal?
Not really. I’m sure there’s a bunch of fine print. It doesn’t really matter, I just don’t see how they can advertise it as suitable for coal when it clearly isn’t.

Reactions: Highbeam
I’ve seen galvanized rot out in less than 2 years with coal in damp conditions. We only carry series 300 stainless pipe.
What alloy of 300 series pipe?

I’ll put in whatever chimney is necessary. Anthracite coal has been a game changer for me. No wood stove can even come close to performing as well. Not even close!

Reactions: bholler
300 has chromium and nickel. A magnet will stick to series 400.
Yes I am fully aware of that. I was asking what alloy you use for these coal stoves

I’ll put in whatever chimney is necessary. Anthracite coal has been a game changer for me. No wood stove can even come close to performing as well. Not even close!

I knew it would be for ya. When I need to by wood or don't have time for the stove sitting or wood gathering, coal it is. You can't beat the constant heat output and burn times. And I have sources for hard coal nearby.

Reactions: webby3650
I knew it would be for ya. When I need to by wood or don't have time for the stove sitting or wood gathering, coal it is. You can't beat the constant heat output and burn times. And I have sources for hard coal nearby.
It’s hard to believe how much better coal is! Wood is coals retarded cousin! It’s so easy!