Coal grate pictures??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian-in-maine

Feb 12, 2014
Maine
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, very happy to have found this forum. I have a 1979 HS Tarm 55 that I have been burning wood in for years. I would like to have the option of burning coal but I only have wood grates. I heard the coal grates were hard to come by so I was thinking of making some. My question is there any pictures out there of a set?
Thanks

This is a 404, but the grates were very similar....
Here is the basic part (upside down)
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/16529/products/Stove-Grate.html?d_id=4866

Also, here is from the bottom in a 404 (grates were almost identical except the shakers were in the center instead of off to the side.
Coal grate pictures??

If it were mine, I would rig it up to burn coal without the hassle of shaker grates. This boiler could easily be poked and knifed along the grates (through that little front jail door)....

This should answer most of your questions - your boiler is pretty much identical inside......
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ut-coal-baffles-for-burning-anthracite.64271/

So you can optionally place some kind of baffle to make the firebox shorter and also make it so you don't easily clog up the exhaust in the rear bottom of the boiler. You need to make up some kind of a sheet metal flap which installs under the grates and makes it so the combustion air (most of it) is forced up through the coal bed instead of bypassing it. The official coal baffles had such a swing plate along with the rear baffle.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.