Clydesdale problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DrivFast4U

Nov 20, 2019
Schenectady NY
My Clydesdale decided it didnt want to hold one end of the B44 secondary manifold tube anymore. These tubes dont spin, and the other end seems to be held in place. Are they only held on one end? The exploded view of these show no mechanism for their attachment. Any suggestions other than buying a new extremely expensive assembly?

Clydesdale problem

See if it'll slide to the right.
See if it'll slide to the right.
Thanks for the advice, but you can't possibly think that wasn't the first thing I tried. Since I posted, I went through the ridiculously difficult process of pulling the manifold out, and disassembled it. Turns out the hole in the tube that is anchored by a pin cast in the manifold, was drilled too far inward, or the tube is just too short (see photo). It's amazing that I didnt have this problem earlier, as I have been running this stove hard for 10 years. The fix was simple, drill another hole (photo 2) and reassemble. This is lousy quality control. I love this insert, I really do, but it has had every problem in the book. Maintainence and repair is insanely difficult. Whoever designed this unit, should be shot.

Clydesdale problemClydesdale problem

Not everybody would have tried it, lol. I always try to suggest the easiest thing to try first. Is the tube, or manifold warped? If the tube has been short for 10 years it probably would have fallen out sooner.

I live in Schenectady too. Nice to see another local soul. I'm glad you were able to repair your stove!

Not everybody would have tried it, lol. I always try to suggest the easiest thing to try first. Is the tube, or manifold warped? If the tube has been short for 10 years it probably would have fallen out sooner.

I live in Schenectady too. Nice to see another local soul. I'm glad you were able to repair your stove!
After reading a lot of the posts here, I can understand the "did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?" kind of answer, EBL. I'm sorry if my response was a bit snarky. I was having a rough day. I dont understand why they make this manifold so difficult to remove, considering how often it has to come out for cleaning and ceramic baffle replacement. The screws that hold it in are tiny, and seize up almost immediately. They break off almost everytime, and have to be drilled out. Terrible design. The manifold has a pretty thick cast crossmember that keeps the two sides from spreading apart, so unless the heat managed to streach that cast iron substantially, it's unlikely that a warpage was the cause. As you see in the picture, the other pipes are plenty long enough. Seems strange that it took a decade for the too short pipe to finally let go of the tiny fraction of an inch that it was holding on by. I'm just glad it was a free fix, as everything on this insert is astronomically expensive. It is our prime heat source, as our antique furnace has been disabled for many years. Without it, we are stuck with electric space heaters, and a huge electric bill.

Luckily we have plenty of good wood in this area. Stay warm! I think were in for a rough winter this year.

Electricity is stupid expensive.

Luckily we have plenty of good wood in this area. Stay warm! I think were in for a rough winter this year.

Electricity is stupid expensive.
Not hard keeping warm... yet. Gets a bit harder when it's 10 below. My insert can keep up as long as I can keep it fed. It was advertised as going for 10 hours, but that was very misleading. It can pump full heat for 4 or 5 hours max. Unfortunately I sleep, and work, for longer than than that. And the dog refuses to help out.