Close to house firewood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
My primary firewood storage for aging etc is in the middle of my 80 acres. I have about 5 cord right now. about 1.5 cord of that is aged and ready to go.

I need something closer to our new house to keep wood at hand for the wood stove this winter.

Any ideas? How far would you keep it from the house due to pests, insects, etc. How much would you keep close to the house for the season?

New home, new wood stove so no real idea on how much I will burn but a friend who does burn said he'd be surprised if I burned more than a cord.

I've been looking at things like these, but not sure if I should do something like that, or just build one of these.

I'd opt for something more like #2.
Many of us in warmer climates than yours can easily burn more than 3 cords a year.
If you get hooked on having lots of fires, which is super easy to do, then you'll want a good size area to season and store it near the house.

It depends on what you want. I built a small rack in my garage that has a door to the basement where the stove is; every now and then I fill that up. If you have a garage or shed within walking distance, (or even a porch where the significant other allows some wood storage so she ;-) doesn't have to trudge through the cold to get wood), I'd build a little rack there that can hold about 2 weeks worth of wood.
That means you'll always have dry wood nearby even when snowmageddon hits.

My rack has two sides. When one side is empty, I fill it up and start burning from the other side.
And I fill it up when bad weather is forecast. Peace of mind.

Now, if a dry location like that nearby is not avaiable, I'd do #2 for sure (also nearby) - but increase the overhang of the roof on all sides to at least 1.5 ft.

Reactions: bigealta
I store the wood in the backyard. I split and stact directly into the woodshed. I have 4 totaling 14 cords. I keep a wood rack 6ft long 4ft high on the patio near 5he back door and fill the rack as we need. Seasoned wood has no insects like carpenter ants or stuff like that so nothing really to worry about. The second picture is something you want to go with, make more of a roof overhang then the picture you posted

I have a covered front porch which is block/concrete so the weight isn't a problem. I made a rack 8' long x 4' high that I keep filled during the winter. I haul it from my piles to the front as needed.