Clearances for older UL Listed Jotul F118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yeahoner

Nov 3, 2020
Whidbey Island
I have a beautiful enameled F118, not sure the exact year but it's got all UL castings.

I'm remodeling and would like to rebuild the hearth and make sure everything is safe and to code. I'd also like this thing as close to the wall as possible as my house is small and I don't want it taking up so much space.

I can't seem to find a manual for version that includes the clearances and hearth size info. I've been googling around for an hour but all the info I find is for the newer version and I'm fairly sure they would have different clearance requirements.

thanks, I've learned a lot cruising this forum, but never had to join or post before.

I have a beautiful enameled F118, not sure the exact year but it's got all UL castings.

I'm remodeling and would like to rebuild the hearth and make sure everything is safe and to code. I'd also like this thing as close to the wall as possible as my house is small and I don't want it taking up so much space.

I can't seem to find a manual for version that includes the clearances and hearth size info. I've been googling around for an hour but all the info I find is for the newer version and I'm fairly sure they would have different clearance requirements.

thanks, I've learned a lot cruising this forum, but never had to join or post before.
Is the stove actually labeled with a ul listing number and testing lab?

Is the stove actually labeled with a ul listing number and testing lab?
i don’t know. where would i find that? There are some old rivets on the back plate that probably had the tag and maybe someone removed it. From my reading on there. the “ul listed” version of this stove has three hooks on each side for the burn plates and the swinging plate over the door and the inside of the top box both have UL in big letters on the castings.

Last edited:
i don’t know. where would i find that? There are some old rivets on the back plate that probably had the tag and maybe someone removed it. From my reading on there. the “ul listed” version of this stove has three hooks on each side for the burn plates and the swinging plate over the door and the inside of the top box both have UL in big letters on the castings.
Without the tag it is an unlisted stove and needs to be installed as such

Non-UL jotul will have the ability to hang side burn plates that are UL
(because non-UL F118's had three pins to hang a larger side burn plate)
This isn't enough to indicate it is a UL stove........
I have three 118's...(winter scene)...... only one is UL..... It has a large peeling label on the back
indicating that it is UL...( I might be able to get a picture of it)..
This UL old timer that I mention....... also has..... A bottom(removable) plate(interior).
Apparently, there was some kind of insulation under this plate..(between it and the outer bottom)....

I know this doesn't answer your question....... but, Seeing this UL stove with
a removable bottom....... made it a little clearer for me...

Be like an archaeologist... IF you see any for sale locally.... go look at them.... just
for the sake of looking at them.... there are differences... in them...(probably even with a year's prod. line)- I am speculating....

soup

The international manual for this stove lists the distance side and rear at 800mm or 32". This can be reduced to as low as 12" with the proper wall shielding. The US manual (with UL spec) shows clearances depending on how the stove is connected. This is to include the clearances for the connector pipe.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.13.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.18.06 PM.png

Last edited:
This is great! thanks.....

Would you be able to provide....

Shielding methods...... Proper shielding methods..... That would be a big help... thanks!

Here is a primer on the topic.