Clearance to combustible ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

micro7311

Sep 14, 2017
Northeast
Hi, I am concerned that my stove pipe exhaust through my house wall is too close to the combustible ceiling. There is only about 3.5” from the top of the pipe to the ceiling. Would wrapping insulation around the pipe at this point be sufficient to protect the ceiling?

Last edited by a moderator:
No it is to close for any easy solution it needs dropped.

Wow. That’s scary close! Have you used the stove ever?

Single-wall stove pipe needs at least 18" clearance from the ceiling. Double-wall stove pipe needs 9" ceiling clearance. Heat shielding of the ceiling might fix some cases, but in this instance the remedy is lowering the pipe thimble and bricking in the existing hole unless this is a drop ceiling and a large cutout can be made to assure that proper clearances to combustibles are accomplished.

Yes I have used it many times. I am new to wood burning so initially I was unaware of this issue. It just dawned on me the other day while reading up on wood stoves. The previous owner finished the basement around this existing stove installation. Even before the ceiling was installed, the stove pipe must have been very close to the ceiling rafters so perhaps the installer did not install to code..

Any particular reason why wrapping the pipe with something like a ceramic fiber blanket won't be sufficient? Lowering the exhaust hole is going to be a very big job and I most likely will have to opt not to burn this winter then.

Current installation is a code violation and unsafe. Horizontal surfaces radiate a lot of heat. There is no tested result for clearances for a ceramic blanket wrap in this situation. Did the previous owner make other mistakes with clearances, like with the stove clearances? If this is the case then the best option may be to not burn until all issues can be taken care of.

Reactions: Squisher
Can't tell from the picture but are able to cut the sheetrock back the required amount? Once open maybe some shielding can be added. It would probably be a good idea anyway since there may be other combustibles that are too close.

It might be a good idea to post photos of the whole setup. Stove, all the pipe, everything. Then folks here can help get you squared away and hopefully save you some money and headaches with mistakes along the way

Thanks everybody for the suggestions I will post pictures of the whole set up. Unfortunately I cannot move the pipe lower because the pipe feeds through my foundation going to the outside. Cutting the Sheetrock out might help but it’s installed on rafters which are also combustible.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions I will post pictures of the whole set up. Unfortunately I cannot move the pipe lower because the pipe feeds through my foundation going to the outside. Cutting the Sheetrock out might help but it’s installed on rafters which are also combustible.
Then it is unsafe to use. Pull the pipe out and see if the chimney extends down below the crock. If it does you can drop it. If not you need a new chimney.

First off listen to the pros here. I'll just add that I think I'd cut the rock back to inspect, you may already have some discoloration or scorching of the rafters. What you describe sounds pretty unsafe.

Brainstorm for the experienced folks... Until he can get the installation sorted out by the book would a large steel plate installed above the pipe in a floating position (air gap between the plate and the drywall) work?

How about replacing the stove pipe with class A double wall chimney to reduce the clearance requirements?

Brainstorm for the experienced folks... Until he can get the installation sorted out by the book would a large steel plate installed above the pipe in a floating position (air gap between the plate and the drywall) work?

How about replacing the stove pipe with class A double wall chimney to reduce the clearance requirements?
No a heat sheild will not work there just is not enough room. Even class a would be tight. And they would have to elbow down with the class a also.

Reactions: Squisher