clearance and soundbox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matth

Jan 4, 2018
qc
i am pretty much done with my hearth setup, and i would like a second look at the clearance requirement.
the pillar for the sound box is made out of steel and is inside the non-combustible zone, the box itself is not above the stove. should i put something between the steel pillar and the soundbox as insulation? is it up to code if i let it as is?

i can easilly move it further away if really needed but would prefer it this way , sound wise, if it is safe.

i have a double wall stove pipe and the soundbox or the wood shelf is 12in or more from the pipe.

thank for the advice

clearance and soundbox clearance and soundbox

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a poor location. Heat is not good for wood cabinets nor speaker cones. It dries them out. At least move it to the left when the stove is burning. Or maybe put it on the right end of the mantel, anchored to the wall?

Reactions: webby3650
It's a poor location. Heat is not good for wood cabinets nor speaker cones. It dries them out. At least move it to the left when the stove is burning. Or maybe put it on the right end of the mantel, anchored to the wall?
Agreed. Why does it need to be right by the stove like that?