Cleaning Vermont Castings Merrimack from bottom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rbaevergreen

Oct 13, 2018
Albany NY
I'm trying to clean my Vermont Castings Merrimack from the bottom. I have the 6" poly brush and am reusing fiberglass rods that my dad used to use.

There's a metal bar across the flue after I remove the baffle. I'm assuming that this is part of the flue collar? How do I get past this with the poly brush?

I'm trying to clean my Vermont Castings Merrimack from the bottom. I have the 6" poly brush and am reusing fiberglass rods that my dad used to use.

There's a metal bar across the flue after I remove the baffle. I'm assuming that this is part of the flue collar? How do I get past this with the poly brush?
You dont. That is where a rotary cleaner is nice

I know its been a while you probably already got your answer. But anyway i read the manual and it states you can cut this bar out to do a bottom up cleaning

I know its been a while you probably already got your answer. But anyway i read the manual and it states you can cut this bar out to do a bottom up cleaning

I did wind up purchasing a rotary cleaner but what you wrote is interesting. I'm not sure if the company I had hired previously used a rotary cleaner but they definitely didn't cut the bar.

I did wind up purchasing a rotary cleaner but what you wrote is interesting. I'm not sure if the company I had hired previously used a rotary cleaner but they definitely didn't cut the bar.
Its in there so if someone was to do a top down cleaning they wouldnt hit the ceramic baffle and possibly break it

How did you remove the baffle? I am trying to install for the first time and when I remove the tubes...the geometry does not seem to allow removal? What is the trick? Thanks!

Nevermind! Figured it out - the manual (and the stove shop) say you only have to remove the tubes to take out the baffle - but you have to remove the iron piece in the top front. Not a great manual.

Yes, I think the airwash manifold needs to be removed. Took me a while to find this. It's on page 9 for the stove assembly instructions. You are doing the reverse.

Thank you very much for responding. Didn't know that is what it was called...but already off! Headed to buy some self-tapping screws for the flue pipe now! Thanks again begreen!