Cleaning Rod, Quadrafire 1200i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Hearth Supporter
Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
My stove is on it's 6th or 7th season, no significant issues to speak of.

However one of my cleaning rods will no longer come up all the way. I clean it frequently but I cannot get the right rod to move up passed about 4" or so.

I have always been gentle so I can't imagine the heat exchange tubes are bent. Do they warp over time?

Any ideas for a fix? Or should I just manually clean with a long skinny brush as I have been doing?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tubes are known to warp if a stove is over fired numerous times, but mostly on the left. I would concentrate on where the rod stops, and concentrate on cleaning that area, all the way around the tubes, and along edge, to make sure no ashes have accumulated there, and hardened. kap

Is there a way to fully expose the tubes?

Just from the underside. Instead of just a brush, you may need to make some kind of scraper from a bent pc. of metal

Look straight down inside of tubes with a flashlight, it will be obvious if one or more is warped.

A putty knife between tubes will help clear out ash build up.

Sure wish i had a source for those tubes along with replacement tool, i have a 1200i with multiple warped tubes on the left side.

I checked again, it's the right side

Look straight down inside of tubes with a flashlight, it will be obvious if one or more is warped.

A putty knife between tubes will help clear out ash build up.

Sure wish i had a source for those tubes along with replacement tool, i have a 1200i with multiple warped tubes on the left side.
Ya. that's one thing Quad won't sell. If a guy could find a place that sells aluminum pipe, and find the right size, it only takes a dead punch to tap em to stay in place. Only other option is to try and take old out, and get straightened at a blacksmith shop or some such.kap

Kap, I've tried straighting my tubes in place with minimal success, hopefully PAV1's aren't warped like mine. I played with those rods so many times it gave me tennis elbow, then a major arm infection, haven't touched that stove in 2 years, bad memory. I recall the tubes being expanded internally to lock them in place. I agree taking them out would be best to straighten them or R&R them. One of these days I'll see if i can find a tubing source, too nice of a stove to junk. It was a $100 find, which turned into a $1500 hospital bill unfortunately.

Ya, sometimes it just don't pay, but we have to keep trying. They can be expanded, but when they fall out, you can just use a dead punch just enough to hold em. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.