Cleaning PreFab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

njbob

Nov 19, 2020
NJ
First time posting.
So, I have a Superior PreFab with an 8" flue. I bought an 8" poly brush and rods to clean it myself.
I want to clean from the bottom as I don't like ladders.
The concern I have is that if I get the brush past the damper I will not be able to get it back out.
The guy I used to use would run a poly brush up from the bottom and he seemed to have no trouble with getting it in and out.
I thought about cutting some of the bristles at the top and bottom of the brush to sort of taper the ends.
I'm open to suggestions.

The brush should go past the damper. If you haven't purchased them yet, consider getting a Sooteater kit instead. This is a rotary brush that will easily go past the damper. It's powered by a drill motor.

Unfortunately, I already have the poly brush. I tried it and am afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back out if I got it in.
Or that I would damage the damper.
I'm thinking of tapering it at the top and bottom by cutting the ends of the bristles leaving the middle sections full diameter.

Sell the polybrush, ask Santa for a Sooteater.

Reactions: moresnow