Cleaning Lymestone? marble Stone rough face surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

professorkev

Jul 22, 2019
Central NY
I have this house I am remodeling and this stone I'm not sure how or if it will cleanup? Lymestone or os ot a marble types stone? I can't recall but my mom alaso has it on her fireplace (1960's) I haven't attempted anything yet but it's the next project after trim work.

Is it cleanable? what would you try?
I know it's porous so cleaners are a tough call. I though of tearing out have the fireplace and just refacing the main part or reface the entire thing.

THe people lived in this house for 20 years, obviously over the years they didn't get the fireplace checked and wasn't venting properly - soot markings throughout the house.

IMG_3563.jpg IMG_3562.jpg IMG_2368.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd try brushing it with a stiff-bristle brush (NOT STEEL) to see what loosens up & falls off.
Then I'd try soaking a clean white rag in hydrogen pyroxide & holding the rag against the stone - DON'T rub -
on a spot off too one side to see if that has an effect. Once that spot dries try the brush again...

Cleaning porous unsealed stone can be really difficult. Vinegar will actually dissolve a bit of the surface of limestone, but that may just make it worse, because the soot can run deeper into the stone once it's dissolved in the fluid.

I'd personally rip out the old fireplace unit, inspect the chimney, and go stove shopping, and then decide how to proceed with the fireplace.

Knowing what is going there will definitely help you decide what should be done with the old stone facing.

One option to clean it up without cleaning it up- shorten up the stone facing by a half brick on both sides, and use the cutoffs to replace the stained stones in the middle.

Paint and peel fireplace cleaner

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the brush technique and soak but I tell ya, It look pretty bad. I wondered how that paint and peel works. Read about that a few weeks ago. As for fireplace insert, yeah that's going. Found a new like one on craigslist but honestly I want to put in a gas fireplace. There is a gasline right below it too. Chimney guy I'm hoping will be in to check it out in a week or two and agree THAT could decide how to proceed.

your shortening up is ideal (way too long) don't know about splitting up the rock to create a new facing (beyond my scope)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the brush technique and soak but I tell ya, It look pretty bad. I wondered how that paint and peel works. Read about that a few weeks ago. As for fireplace insert, yeah that's going. Found a new like one on craigslist but honestly I want to put in a gas fireplace. There is a gasline right below it too. Chimney guy I'm hoping will be in to check it out in a week or two and agree THAT could decide how to proceed.

your shortening up is ideal (way too long) don't know about splitting up the rock to create a new facing (beyond my scope)
Just get the paint and peel. I have tried tons of stuff and nothing else is even 1/4 as effective.

Reactions: DAKSY

A cheap wetsaw is less than $100. If it's just a couple cuts you can put an abrasive cut-off in your circle saw for about $3 but the wet saw is way better.

I'd try bholler's thing first, he does this stuff every day.

Looks great. Is that really limestone? Almost looks like granite.

I would be with bholler on this. On the years I've been in homes with fireplaces, the surrounds were never cleaned through the years. Now they call it patina.

Just doing the half gallons. Based on the first one I guestimate it'll take a total of 6 (so 3 gallons worth) $51/bucket ain;t cheap but quicker better than trying to clean with a brush or refacing. I think I mentioned, I am remodeling and selling this house in September. This stuff shouldn't be so expensive but oh well.

Just doing the half gallons. Based on the first one I guestimate it'll take a total of 6 (so 3 gallons worth) $51/bucket ain;t cheap but quicker better than trying to clean with a brush or refacing. I think I mentioned, I am remodeling and selling this house in September. This stuff shouldn't be so expensive but oh well.
It is that expensive because it works so much better than anything else. But wow 51 for 1/2 gal...

It is that expensive because it works so much better than anything else. But wow 51 for 1/2 gal...

Yep! It is what it is. Cheaper option is to paint but that for me would be the last resort. $300 for paint in such a small area. That’s what makes me cringe.....BUT scrubbing would make me miserable. It’s good stuff though and working for me; amazingly. I’ll post pics when done and room painted

Yep! It is what it is. Cheaper option is to paint but that for me would be the last resort. $300 for paint in such a small area. That’s what makes me cringe.....BUT scrubbing would make me miserable. It’s good stuff though and working for me; amazingly. I’ll post pics when done and room painted
That's about what I pay a gal. But I assume you are paying retail.

Last edited: