Cleaning chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmack101

Nov 5, 2017
New York
hey all I'm new here. Bought my house about 2 years ago. First year I didn't use the stove much. Last year I used it more. But this season I wanna burn even more. I was gonna jump on the roof and clean the chimney but wasn't sure how'd I'd get the scrapings out since I don't have access to the rear. It's a free standing stove outside of the existing fireplace. My pictures are awaiting approval. Thanks everyone!

Is this for the Hearthstone Homestead? It look like there is a surround panel covering the fireplace opening that will need to be removed. Behind that panel there should be a tee on the bottom of the liner. The tee will have a bottom cap which is removable for cleaning. For this year maybe hire a professional sweep and watch how it's done?

Is this for the Hearthstone Homestead? It look like there is a surround panel covering the fireplace opening that will need to be removed. Behind that panel there should be a tee on the bottom of the liner. The tee will have a bottom cap which is removable for cleaning. For this year maybe hire a professional sweep and watch how it's done?
It's definitely a hearthstone. I'll call around maybe for prices. Money's usually a bit tight fronting this house alone(long story)

Getting the chimney cleaned at this time is a good idea. This site will have certified sweeps listed for your zip code.
www.csia.org

PS: Take the grate out of the stove. According to the manual the Homestead is not supposed to have one.
o Never use a wood grate or other device to elevate the fire.

Reactions: Squisher
Getting the chimney cleaned at this time is a good idea. This site will have certified sweeps listed for your zip code.
www.csia.org

PS: Take the grate out of the stove. According to the manual the Homestead is not supposed to have one.
o Never use a wood grate or other device to elevate the fire.
Alright thanks! Stove had a broken grate when I moved in so I replaced it. Good to know thanks

If you are unsure of how/what to service and verify your pathways and chimney is effectively cleaned then definetly do as Begreen has suggested. Some areas are worth saving money on with a home. The fire burning inside a box inside of it isn't one of them.

If you are unsure of how/what to service and verify your pathways and chimney is effectively cleaned then definetly do as Begreen has suggested. Some areas are worth saving money on with a home. The fire burning inside a box inside of it isn't one of them.
I agree 100%. Any idea or guesstimate of what a chimney service runs?

You'll want to call around to see. I'm in BC Canada. My pricing is probably not applicable to your area.

I agree 100%. Any idea or guesstimate of what a chimney service runs?

My area runs anywhere from $125 to $175 and that includes a visual inspection. The companies around my area will not clean without doing an inspection and written report detailing every single problem with the chimney and stove.