Cleaned out stove, how does the metal look?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Theonion

Dec 9, 2017
Michigan
Hi, so I've had the buckstove 74 insert for 10 years and heat full time with it.
I noticed quite a bit of cracked firebrick and wanted to replace it and give it an inspection, especially after I overtired it last year and parts of it were glowing.
I've noticed some of the metal is rusted but otherwise it looks ok i think.
Any input?
Thanks

Cleaned out stove, how does the metal look? Cleaned out stove, how does the metal look? Cleaned out stove, how does the metal look? Cleaned out stove, how does the metal look?

woh whats going on with all the firebrick in bits and pieces?

also those white socks/black shoes!? :)

The rust mostly happens in summer. Humid air sitting in the chimney sinks into the stove.
What I do is I take the stove pipe off, cap both ends (stove and chimney), close the air supply to the stove, and put a pot of damprid in the middle of the stove.

You're looking for the kind of rust bubbles that are deep cancer. The kind you can push a screwdriver through. The normal rust is a result of high firebox temps burning off any paint so the surface turns orange. Not bubbles from within.

I don't see anything in those pictures to worry about. Clean it out well so that the new bricks lay flat.