Class A Chimney Paint Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heykman

Nov 17, 2019
California
I'm installing a Selkirk double wall class A chimney (SureTemp). The section that goes through my ceiling is a roof supported piece, a 4' section above that and a 6" section below that. I want to paint the stainless steel chimney sections that will be seen on the interior. From the bottom of the class A chimney to the top of the stove will be 110" of double wall stove pipe.

I don't believe the outer surface of the class A chimney will get hot enough to "cure" the high temp paint. Do I need to worry about any off-gassing from the paint when the chimney gets warm but not hot enough to cure? I was going to use the Rutland high temp spray paint. Any other recommendations on how or what I should use to paint the chimney? Powder coat?

Thanks in advance for any advice given!

Ummm...I'm thinking if you install the Class A correctly, you won't SEE any chromed surfaces.
They will be hidden by the ceiling support box.

Not using a ceiling support box. Using a roof mounted support package.
Why not a support box with doublewall pipe up to it?

Selkirk protrudes through the ceiling support box, the distance it protrudes depends on the pitch of the ceiling. The adaptor goes on the female end of the pipe inside the room. The visible pipe gets painted. We wipe it down with vinegar and then paint it with stove bright, it works well.
We don’t use sure-temp, but I’m assuming it’s the same as the other Selkirk lines.

I wouldn’t use a roof support, a cathedral box is easier to fit in and ensures clearances are met.It might just be my preference though.

Honestly I have never had much luck getting paint to stick to stainless long term. I usually skuff it up with 220 or 320 sandpaper then clean and paint. Even doing that I have never had it hold up more than about 5 years.

Honestly I have never had much luck getting paint to stick to stainless long term. I usually skuff it up with 220 or 320 sandpaper then clean and paint. Even doing that I have never had it hold up more than about 5 years.
Inside it does just fine. I paint my own chimneys, but try to discourage customers from making a maintenance free roof penetration into an annual task to keep it looking good.
I don’t mind it, but I’m used to being on a roof.

Inside it does just fine. I paint my own chimneys, but try to discourage customers from making a maintenance free roof penetration into an annual task to keep it looking good.
I don’t mind it, but I’m used to being on a roof.
I just order powder coated now and it isn't an issue

I just order powder coated now and it isn't an issue
If you’ve got a specific job in mind that’s fine, although more expensive. We do so many jobs that would be too time inhibitive.

If you’ve got a specific job in mind that’s fine, although more expensive. We do so many jobs that would be too time inhibitive.
Not really we go out to do the site visit and it's always atlast a month untill we can get back to install. And honestly I think it is cheaper than the time it would take to paint a whole system. Especially because it lasts.

Not really we go out to do the site visit and it's always atlast a month untill we can get back to install. And honestly I think it is cheaper than the time it would take to paint a whole system. Especially because it lasts.
A whole system I agree. I was referring to the small amount of pipe that shows below the support box on Hart&Cooley/ Selkirk/metalbestos system.

A whole system I agree. I was referring to the small amount of pipe that shows below the support box on Hart&Cooley/ Selkirk/metalbestos system.
It is only a 20% upcharge to powder coat. I think it is still cheaper than the time to prep and paint. Even if it's just one piece.

Well, when paint also works well, it’s an extra expense on an already costly install. We stock hundreds of feet of pipe in a few different brands, adding powdercoated pipe to stock that people may or may not want or care about just adds to the price and complexity to the job.

Well, when paint also works well, it’s an extra expense on an already costly install. We stock hundreds of feet of pipe in a few different brands, adding powdercoated pipe to stock that people may or may not want or care about just adds to the price and complexity to the job.
We don't stock much of anything. There just is no need for us. We order for each job so it isn't a big deal

We don't stock much of anything. There just is no need for us. We order for each job so it isn't a big deal
We order a few hundred feet at a time, a couple times a year.

We order a few hundred feet at a time, a couple times a year.
And if that works for you that's great. But that wouldn't work well for us. Many times we need 304 pipe for wood or 316 inner 430 outer for oil or gas. Or 316 inner and outer for coal. And different sizes many are 6" but we do some 5" ones and a fair number of 7"s and 8"s.