City Inspection Pending - Does my VC 1977 Vigilant stand a chance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WisconsinVaughn

Oct 31, 2017
Madison, WI
I'm wondering if I'll need to say goodbye to my old friend, a 1977 Vermont Castings Vigilant.

Installed this workhorse in the concrete basement below my workshop/music room in 2009 (in an accessory building), and am now facing city inspection and HVAC permit concerns. (City of Madison, Wisconsin, which is quite strict - in a gentrifying neighborhood.)

The chimney is code, an 8" SS metalbestos straight run up 25', so I'm not worried about that.

But with no UL listing, and this being an older stove in a population dense urban environment - I'm guessing I may be looking at my last few fires over the next few weeks.

The stove also has some significant wear and tear from its many years of service, eats a good lot of wood, and heats up the lower level quite a bit more than I'd prefer once running strong. And since it isn't the cleanest burning stove made compared to modern standards, I can see how some city folks might want to see it replaced.

I'm looking for advice/wisdom on if this beloved beast can pass a modern inspection, or if it is for the best to look at replacement options.

It might be ok. The manual for this stove is good and complies with NFPA 211 guidelines. Also, on page 3 it says their stoves were tested to UL 1482 standards in order to determine clearance reductions. Have the manual printed out and on hand for inspection.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 1.25.26 PM.png

Don't give up on a great old heater!! Perhaps your local V.C. dealer an suggest a service person (they'll surely try to sell you something new first) or if you're able, consider the rebuild kit. Post pic.s of the stove, as many here have them or have had them and may have advice. May just need gaskets and a tube of cement thrown at it.

Hoping all went well with your inspection! I moved a VC from FL to SC. "All" I had to do was replace the single walled chimney pipe to meet code. I did double walled in the downstairs where the stove is and triple walled up through the second floor. Since we were new construction I prepared the floor and wall to meet current code with the least possible clearance.