Circulating heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Narf

Oct 31, 2012
Hi all,

I'm in my 3rd year of burning and am looking to improve the heat distribution throughout my house. As you can see in the pictures the stove is in my basement near the stairs. I can get heat in the stairwell but I am struggling to get it to circulate throughout the house. Anyone have any ideas or thing they have done in the past? I'm thinking about disconnecting one of the air returns in the floor of the lower bathroom in the upstairs. This would give a "hole" basically for air to pass through upstairs to the utility room in the basement. Anyone tried something like this before?

Thanks,
narf
Circulating heat
Circulating heat

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The best way to circulate warm air around the house is to move the cooler air towards the stove. Try disconnecting the floor vent in the bathroom and then use a fan at floor level in the kitchen pointed at the staircase to push the cool air down the stairs and see if that will help start a convection. If it works, you'll have to remember to keep the bathroom door open.

Good luck!